CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

has anyone heard of this?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
atmox
Also NEVER heat them using a microwave oven. I've seen pictures of them go *poof* that way and you don't wanna clean that mess up

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
jon31072000
Lol, I hear you there. I remember the stories told to me when I had my RTB about 8 years ago of how a customer of my snake guy tried to warm his up that way... It was soo bad they ended up getting a new microwave rather then clean the old one. Never a mistake I will make, lol. I just use a cup of warm water and let the mouse sit in it for about 5-8 mins and it seems to warm them up enough to interest the 2 I have right now. Thanks for the good advise, though. Jon

Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
WingedSweetheart
Have you ever held babies mice? They feel pretty hot to the touch. If I was the snake I wouldn't want an obviously dead cold room temp mouse lol.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Karoni
Re: how warm...the advice I gleaned from this site was to thaw the mouse out and then let it sit in really hot tap water for a few minutes to warm it up. (I thaw mine in warm tap water, too.)

Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
toxiclight
Mine all go in a tea mug (the snakes have their own special mug) with hot water poured on them. By the time I'm done weighing the snakes and getting them in their feeding bins, the mice are thawed and warm to touch. Only one of mine waits for the mice to cool to room temperature...the others prefer them on the warmer side (we've had to warm them under hot tap water if they cool too much)

But, as I've seen from a lot of reading here, different temperament snakes like different things, so if you've found what yours like, that's the important part

Old 05-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Elly Fithian
My two-year-old, Emily, likes her mice thawed in very warm water. She is about to move up from peach fuzzies to weanlings, and I was thinking of just thawing them under a light bulb, and offering them dry, but maybe she will object to the change. We shall see...

Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
Draekaar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxiclight View Post
Mine all go in a tea mug (the snakes have their own special mug) with hot water poured on them.
mmm mouse tea

Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
bitsy
I do remember a particularly revolting anecdote from somebody here, who once put their coffee mug down next to the mug containing the defrosting pinkies.... yuk!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
Naagas
Bitsy, that is horrible!
Note to self- always be observant around thawing mice.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
Dreamsnake
I thaw my mice and rats out in a little metal mixing bowl. I use a paper towel to slightly dry them off and sprinkle them with vitamin powder every other feeding. The corns had a problem with the powder at first, but them ate anyway and now them don't seem to mind.

If you want to talk about picky eaters we just got the ball python off of chicken broth dipped rats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google