CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

2 year old non constricting corn snake! help!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
smallet
That ^ is the only way any of mine will constrict or even strike at food.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
Elly Fithian
My old male, Cornelius, used to constrict the first mouse, but not the later ones. Emily, my current snake, constricted once or twice, but now she just grabs the mouse daintily if I offer it with the tongs. If I leave the mouse on her floor, she inspects it carefully before grabbing it gently in her jaws.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
habistatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan803 View Post
Very common. Some are just lazy and don't want to constrict something they know is already dead.
Or just very clever.

Regards

Habistatman

Old 05-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
SnakeAround
I wonder how they know it is dead if they don't 'cuddle' it to feel the heart beat.... they usually poke it a bit with their noses before eating but that's for feelign the direction of hair growth, so they know where the head is, as far as I know. Maybe if below a certain temp they know it is dead already? Mayeb that's why mine tend to strike and coil more if offered a warmer mouse?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
dan803
They poke to find the head... or to make sure it isn't alive?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Gripz
Ive got 5 corn snakes and they rarely constrict the food.

I usually put the food in 5 containers and then put my snakes in afterwards but a couple of times i have put the snake in first then thrown the food in and this is when they have constricted it, i guess they think its still alive because its been thrown in.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #17
WingedSweetheart
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
My five year old has done the death roll every time I have fed her.

On the other hand, and slightly off topic, my two year old milk snake has never thrown a coil. He grasps it like a gentlemen and then proceeds to eat his food without chewing !
One of my corns is like that. She even picks the mouse up several times to arrange it in the best position before swallowing.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Elly Fithian
Emily, my almost two -year -old corn snake, has graduated from peach fuzzies to furry weanlings. I just wiggled one in front of her, and she struck at it and constricted it before she ate it. She is now eating her second one, but did not constrict. I thawed the mice under an incandescent light bulb. Before that, she was getting mice thawed in warm water.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google