CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Viv project!!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
SharkBait1992
Talking Viv project!!

So I have been looking for something productive to do til school starts/ til I get a job so I used the money I had left over from vacation to get started on a viv. I figure since I have so long to do this I can make it absolutely awesome!! This will be where I update as a build and design, which I am starting tomorrow!!

Here is what I currently have two 2' squares of wood and three 4'x 2' pieces of wood I don't have wood for the front yet because I'm not sure what kind of doors I'm doing for it yet, but I have plenty of time to figure it out. I also have some wood dowels which I will be using to make some climbing spots.

I bought a UTH but I don't know how I would set it up on a wooden viv, so if anyone has any ideas for that I would appreciate it. I have a digital thermometer, I do wanna get another one for the cold side but for now I just got it so I know what sizes holes I need to put the probe through. I also have a thermostat on the way.

I am also trying to figure out what kind of ventilation I need for it. Any help and suggestions are appreciated and tomorrow I will be updating after my first day of working on it!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
SharkBait1992
Also I forgot, I need to seal the wood but I wasn't sure what kind of sealant to get. I didn't know if it mattered since it will have so long to air out or what, I appreciate any help.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Hipster Doofus
Tile the bottom of the viv and put the UTH under the tile on one side

Old 09-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
SharkBait1992
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if it would work. I would need a way to hold the tile up a little bit right? so the UTH has some airflow

Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
SharkBait1992
Yesterday I didn't do anything on for this because I wasn't really sure where to start but today I finally started working. I have put most of the sides together I don't want to put the bottom yet cause I have to still make a place to put my UTH, but I should be getting the supplies to do that tomorrow. Also would this (http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Inter...ct_description) stuff be okay to use on the wood?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Hipster Doofus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait1992 View Post
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if it would work. I would need a way to hold the tile up a little bit right? so the UTH has some airflow
I'm not sure how necessary the airflow is. I don't see how it would be possible with your set up. Mine doesn't get much airflow with a glass tank sitting on a wooden shelf. Probably just need a reheostat or thermometer to make sure it doesn't get too hot. If it were me I'd put a piece of metal or someting under the UTH so that it's not in direct contact with the wood or it'd probably split the wood over time, or worse cause a fire.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Hipster Doofus
Are you only staining the outside of the wood? I would guess it'd probably fine if you let it air out for days to get rid of any toxic smell.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
SharkBait1992
I bought some tiles so I am just going to tile the bottom and then put the heat pad on there.

Good news is for the stain I probably won't be getting a snake for months lol so it should have plenty of time to air, the only reason I ask about this stuff is cause my grandparents already have some so I wouldn't have to buy any.

Thank you for all the help I really appreciate it!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Floof
I don't know about the stain, but I used a water-based Polyurethane to seal the inside of my python's wooden viv. Works great, and there's no remaining fumes after being allowed to air out.

As far as heat, what I did with my viv was just lay down tile on one side of the floor. Thing is, if you tile the entire floor, it'll be insanely heavy!

The heat pad I'm using for my woma's 4x2x2 ft viv is a 6" x 17" Ultratherm heat mat (I trust this brand a lot more than the zoo meds!). To cover it, I used two 12x12" tiles so there's a good few inches of clearance on all sides of the heat pad. I used little rubber feet from the cabinet hardware section, kind of like bigger versions of the little rubber feet that come with ZooMed heat pads, under the tiles to provide some airspace. One of the feet comes down on the edge of the ultratherm (not on the heat element itself) to keep it from sliding around.

I put the tiles in place, slid the heat pad underneath, and siliconed the whole thing in (using aquarium-safe silicone from Home Depot). I also used strips of foam to fill in the gap on one side (had it laying around--I'm sure there's better options around for this task). Thermostat probe is siliconed in place on top of the tile.

Here's a picture...

Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
SharkBait1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floof View Post
I don't know about the stain, but I used a water-based Polyurethane to seal the inside of my python's wooden viv. Works great, and there's no remaining fumes after being allowed to air out.

As far as heat, what I did with my viv was just lay down tile on one side of the floor. Thing is, if you tile the entire floor, it'll be insanely heavy!

The heat pad I'm using for my woma's 4x2x2 ft viv is a 6" x 17" Ultratherm heat mat (I trust this brand a lot more than the zoo meds!). To cover it, I used two 12x12" tiles so there's a good few inches of clearance on all sides of the heat pad. I used little rubber feet from the cabinet hardware section, kind of like bigger versions of the little rubber feet that come with ZooMed heat pads, under the tiles to provide some airspace. One of the feet comes down on the edge of the ultratherm (not on the heat element itself) to keep it from sliding around.

I put the tiles in place, slid the heat pad underneath, and siliconed the whole thing in (using aquarium-safe silicone from Home Depot). I also used strips of foam to fill in the gap on one side (had it laying around--I'm sure there's better options around for this task). Thermostat probe is siliconed in place on top of the tile.

Here's a picture...
Like this stuff?

Yay my thermostat came today!

I wish that I would have gone with flexwatt now cause it would have been cheaper, easier to work with and I would probably have some leftover for any future builds, oh well I'm making it work with the help of you guys haha

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google