CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Meet Rusty!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Netsurfr
Meet Rusty!

Hi everyone. We bought Rusty for our 9 year old a couple weeks ago. He's been spending most of his time hiding so we've rarely seen him out and about until last night when we found him exploring his tank so seems to be settling in fine. We've handled him a few times but trying hard to give him time to adjust. This is our first snake so learning a lot. We got a 40g exo-terra that we've filled up with lots of fake plants to make it more "safe" for him and using UTH and a small CHE both on thermostat and both the ground and ambient temps are right around that 80-85F for the warm side and 70-75F for the cool side so that's looking good. So far he's eaten twice since we bought him so right on schedule and he had his firs shed since being with us a few days ago. Looked like a full shed too.

Could use some help with a few questions...

1. He's about 14 inches long and weighed 18g (before last feed & shed). Week before he weighed 14g so he's growing . I'm guessing he's about 3-4 months old. Does that sound right?

2. We were told he's a caramel morph from the local pet store we bought him at (not a big chain) but looking for verification so can anyone tell what morph he is?

Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Netsurfr
Forgot to mention... We're using Kritters Crumble as the substrate. It's made of coconut husk and seems to be a good option but would love feedback on this vs. aspen

Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
MysticExotics
Congrats on your new snake, nice setup! One question: the plexiglass/glass on top of it, is it secured all the way around the top? They can be escape artists.
I'm not familiar with Kritters Crumble. I use shredded aspen, they love to burrow in it.

Depending on how often he was fed, he could be a few months old, or more.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
Dragonling
What a lovely enclosure. I see so many boring empty fishtanks, it's nice to see something more naturalistic and pretty.

A lot of people really like coconut husk. I tried it recently in one of my racks and though my paler morphs look quite attractive on it, I was less thrilled when it came time to spot clean after a feed...trying to spot dark poop on dark bedding was rather slow by comparison. Needless to say it will be changed on the next bedding shipment.

For one snake, I think you'll be fine. If there's anything I've learned, it's that you can usually expect to find the poop attached to the most difficult to clean decoration in the tank.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Netsurfr
Thanks. The plexiglass top is not secured but the screen top below it is very well secured/sealed. I added the plexi as a means to trap in heat/moisture during our winter months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Congrats on your new snake, nice setup! One question: the plexiglass/glass on top of it, is it secured all the way around the top? They can be escape artists.
I'm not familiar with Kritters Crumble. I use shredded aspen, they love to burrow in it.

Depending on how often he was fed, he could be a few months old, or more.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
Netsurfr
Thank you. I wanted something that looked like nature and also looked good in our living room. You're right the downside of the coconut husk is spotting the poop especially when the snake is so young and the tank is full of enrichments. I may switch to Aspen for that reason but not sure on that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
What a lovely enclosure. I see so many boring empty fishtanks, it's nice to see something more naturalistic and pretty.

A lot of people really like coconut husk. I tried it recently in one of my racks and though my paler morphs look quite attractive on it, I was less thrilled when it came time to spot clean after a feed...trying to spot dark poop on dark bedding was rather slow by comparison. Needless to say it will be changed on the next bedding shipment.

For one snake, I think you'll be fine. If there's anything I've learned, it's that you can usually expect to find the poop attached to the most difficult to clean decoration in the tank.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfr View Post
Thanks. The plexiglass top is not secured but the screen top below it is very well secured/sealed. I added the plexi as a means to trap in heat/moisture during our winter months.
Perfect. Just wanted to make sure.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
Netsurfr
Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Perfect. Just wanted to make sure.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
barett
what are the dimensions of this exo terra? Is it his forever tank?

Old 05-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #10
Netsurfr
i36x18x12 and yes will keep him in it as adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by barett View Post
what are the dimensions of this exo terra? Is it his forever tank?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google