• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

*insert expletive here*

Hypancistrus

Our racks from Animal Plastics are coming next week. We went to look at getting 32 qt. and 15 qt. tubs to go with the one rack and lo and behold... you can't get them anymore!

I've emailed Animal Plastics regarding this. Hopefully there is another brand we can use.

Has anyone else just placed an order with AP and is having this issue? Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

I emailed them awhile back regarding this when I was looking into purchasing a few racks and saw that the tubs were discontinued. There are alternatives (I'm assuming you're talking about the Sterilite tubs). I'll see if I can find the email for you.

Here you go Lauren. This is what I was told.

The 1754 and 1756 tubs have been discontinued by Sterilite. The replacement tubs are model numbers 1753 and 1755. They are latch top tubs, so the purple latch handles on the ends of the tubs will need to be removed. They are available at Target stores, exclusively.

I hope that helps (I believe those are the correct tub sizes).

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Not sure what I am going to do if I should need to replace tubs, for my racks that use the Sterilite 1750 line, but figured that I could always try something like ... perhaps the 1950 line 27 qt Sterilite, with lid on, or placing a sheet (cardboard or other material) under the tub to make up for the small height difference.

Also, due to not being able to purchase the 1750 line anymore, I have just had two racks made (and another about to be made) that uses different tubs than the 1750 line.

The replacement tubs are model numbers 1753 and 1755. They are latch top tubs, so the purple latch handles on the ends of the tubs will need to be removed.

The problem, with these, is that it leaves a gap where the latches are located. It may work for adult snakes (depending on species) but will not work for youngsters (at least not without altering the tub/s).

If it comes down to it, I have 3 extra 1756 tubs I would be willing to part with.

I got mine at Target.com months after they were discontinued.

Boaphile makes racks with the 1756 included...I wonder if you could buy just the tubs from them?

The problem, with these, is that it leaves a gap where the latches are located. It may work for adult snakes (depending on species) but will not work for youngsters (at least not without altering the tub/s).

I looked at them when I was at Target 2 weeks ago. As far as I recall, there isn't a gap there. I could be wrong though. I was shopping for tubs and I always take that into consideration, and as I remember, I thought the tubs looked fine.

I think the cut-out for the handle was actually in the lid...leaving the top of the tub flush. But aren't the dimensions pretty different?

I think the cut-out for the handle was actually in the lid...leaving the top of the tub flush. But aren't the dimensions pretty different?

Thats exactly what I'm thinking. The lid was where the 'issue' was (even though it wouldn't be an issue at all, seeing as we're only concerned with the tubs). And I honestly don't recall how different the dimensions are. I'm no longer looking for tubs to put into a rack, as I'm probably just going to build my own (I've gotta build one for the boas, why not keep building and get a few done for the corns?), so I just need to find tubs that are to my liking when it comes to size, transparency, etc., not to certain specifications.

I looked at them when I was at Target 2 weeks ago. As far as I recall, there isn't a gap there. I could be wrong though. I was shopping for tubs and I always take that into consideration, and as I remember, I thought the tubs looked fine.

I believe I was mistaken (somewhat).
I am not sure about the 1755 but the 1753 (which I just checked) will have gaps, where the latch inserts, so would not work for babies (without alteration) ... but they should work for most anything other than babies.
Edit: (I would think that the same should hold true for the 1755).

Last edited:
I think we are speaking of a couple different models and I was getting a little thrown off.

In checking my different Sterilite tubs ....

The 1700's ( purple latch tubs) should work for most anything except babies (without altering the tubs since a couple of gaps would be present where the latch inserts into the tub).

The 1800 line has the latches, in the lids, and ... yes, these do have gaps, in the tub rims (where the latches would lock onto), and would not work for babies/youngsters and some adults (esp. if of a smaller species).

I was thinking we might have been talking about different ones too, and now you've even got me confused! Lol. I'm going stop at Target on my way home from school and check out all the different models now that you've got me thinking about it.

If it comes down to it, I have 3 extra 1756 tubs I would be willing to part with.

I got mine at Target.com months after they were discontinued.

Boaphile makes racks with the 1756 included...I wonder if you could buy just the tubs from them?

Airen, thanks but three won't work... we'd need about 6 I think. The smallest snake that will likely be housed in this rack is our baby hognose and he is small enough that I'd worry about gaps of any type.

I talked to Animal Plastics and it looks like we can switch to the rubbermaid rack at this point for no additional cost. I am going to run it by the DM but I think this is what we are going to do, for safety's sake.

Thanks everyone!

Airen, thanks but three won't work... we'd need about 6 I think.

I talked to Animal Plastics and it looks like we can switch to the rubbermaid rack at this point for no additional cost.

Yeah, I was assuming you could scrounge up another 3 to fill out a rack...

Glad they could find you an alternative tho...I love my AP rack!

I ran into the same problem when I ordered mine but ended up going with the Iris tubs and I love them.

Back