CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Progression thread: Normal Cape African house snake

Old 11-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #21
DollysMom
He's still really little so it's hard to compare. Clyde is 10 inches long and 8 grams. Cleo (corn) is 16.8 inches long and 16 grams, so that actually makes her slightly heavier per inch. I think it must be how it's distributed.

She's also a month younger than he is. In general, both species are considered slender snakes.

They certainly feel different when I handle them. He does feel rounder and softer to me. Of course there really is no comparing them. I just love both of them so much!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #22
Tavia
I wouldn't really say that they are exactly heavier bodied than a corn, they are just little balls of muscle. I can't remember the exact statistics but I read somewhere that they are (one?) of or (the?) strongest species, weight for weight, of colubrids in the world. They have a grip like you wouldn't believe in such a little snake!

I've had a few flighty, zippy ones hatch that will try and fly out of your hands and nearly all of the babies are pretty quick moving placed on a surface. However, most of them are content to wrap around your fingers, finding lots of places to grip, and explore one's hands practically forever. Even when they startle, they tend to keep a grip on a finger and jump away from whatever freaked them out but do not attempt to go flying out of your hands like most other baby snakes do when startled.

They can be a major pain to incubate and get started eating (though they are usually great eaters once they've started) and breeding them has caused me a great deal of frustration this year but then I hold a baby and fall in love with them all over again. For handling, they are definitely up there in my top favorites!

Old 11-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #23
DollysMom
Thanks Tavia! I had not heard about their strength. I have been following the feeding, though. Best wishes with the problem feeders.

Oh yes, Clyde literally wraps around my fingers. Even when I assisted the tail shed, I was amazed how mellow he was.

I want to mention that he found the little water dish you told me about and he hides under it. He also likes his cork half round warm hide and his crocodile skull. It was the crocodile he shed on. The shed was all wrapped in and out of the crocodile mouth!

I hope my son gets here with his good camera soon !

Old 12-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #24
DollysMom
Sorry, no photos today, but I needed to note our first "monthaversary" today. Clyde has put on two grams since I got him, so he's up to 10 grams. Still a very little guy but we are on our way. He is a little sweetie and I'm so lucky to have him. <3

I hope to get some holiday pics after his next feeding!

Old 12-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #25
DollysMom
Clyde is in blue

He's been hanging in his humid hide for about a week. It's so interesting that if the hide is larger than they are, they find a way to make a cozy corner for themselves. He did not move a muscle when I took this picture.

Guess the holiday pics will have to wait .

Old 12-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
Tavia
Little cutie! Can't wait to see post shed pictures!

Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #27
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Little cutie! Can't wait to see post shed pictures!
Lol, any day now!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #28
DollysMom

Alright! Funny, I looked at him this afternoon and predicted this for tomorrow morning. When I came home from a party tonight I saw Clyde was out of his humid hide where he had been for over a week and was under his little water dish. Then I looked closely and found his perfect little shed.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #29
Karl_Mcknight
Nice shed. Now he's probably gonna be hungry too.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #30
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Nice shed. Now he's probably gonna be hungry too.
Oh yes. We had a skipped feeding while in shed so tonight there's thawed mouse on the menu!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google