CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Nyx is a swimmer?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Nanci
If you let her swim in a tub or sink, make sure there are no drain or overflow holes, or even faucets she can get into, and use room temperature water, which will feel cool to you.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Ares2010
aww that's so cute. Neither one of my corns seems interested in swimming. The first time I tried to wash Ares off after a messy poo.. I sat him down in the water (room temp) and he went ballistic trying to get out LOL

Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Nanci
I occasionally rinse snakes off under the faucet after feeding, say if a mouse explodes, or if it's a snake that is being supplemented with Nutribac. They freak out the first couple times then couldn't care less...

Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
WingedSweetheart
I only have one corn that freaks out when it comes to water. I was holding her once and she was all twisted around herself and pooped on herself. So I thought I'd just run her under the faucet. She tried to shoot right out of my hands. I caught her in the dish drainer and that is the first time she ever bit me lol.

She still hates water. I guess it's because I have to soak her every single times she sheds because of her messed up tail.

Anyway, those pictures of snakes swimming are so cute. I'd love to have a little pool like that.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
MissyJo76
I agree - gorgeous pool!

Peekaboo hated water the one time I tried to gently rinse him after he crawled through his own poop. He was just a hatchling though, so he might have adjusted to it over time. /shrugs

Malachite has only been with us for two weeks and loves swimming in his dish. Temps & humidity are spot on. I was actually more worried that it could be a sign of mites, but now I'm pretty sure he just likes it. He doesn't sit in there long like he's soaking from being dehydrated or trying to "drown" pests that are bothering him, so I quit worrying about it. He'll just occassionally go for a swim and even dunk his head under too. We will sometimes see him dip just a part of himself in the water too, but he's only dipped his tail in once. Usually he holds his tail stiff so it won't get wet. Not too long ago, he slipped off his vines + plants that we have near his dish into the water with a splash. It startled him so much he shot straight up and struck the screen top! lol

Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
legitimatehypnotist
Ha, that's great! Well, Nyx's ideal temp (where she's most active and happy) is 81-83 degrees. The humidity is always right, because if she doesn't have enough water to swim in comfortably, she coils around the rim of the dish staring at me until I add more. She basically associates me with swimming more than food. I checked her for mites, which she wasn't happy about, and she's all clean. It's always proper humidity and I keep it at her ideal temperature.
Funny thing, I use an IR red light at night to watch her, and after she goes swimming, she gets out and lays beneath the light on the substrate to dry off, and spreads her whole body out for about 10 minutes, goes on a snake marathon up and down her branch and under the aspen, and then repeats this cycle a few times during the night. I gave her a bath for the first time, just to see how she would react. SHE LOVED IT.
We now joke that I got a falsely advertised water snake, instead of a corn snake. She is seriously the most adventurous corn I have ever seen.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
lumene
When I swim my snakes I do it in a rubbermaid Roughneck (the biggest plastic tub I could find and carry home). I fill it up in the bath, about 6" deep and slide one of my snakes in, keep him/her in there about 20 minutes. 3-4 days a week.
Great excercise for them!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #18
SnakeAround
In my experience quite some hatchlings love to cuddle up in their water cup (I cut disposable party cups to fit in between bottom and lid of their box). I've also hatched a couple of king hybrids and those stayed in almost 24-7 their first week, sometimes completely submerged leaving me wonder how they can do that for as long as they do. The one I kept and her speckled king father still like to take a swim now and then. Not many of my corns like it.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
Firefur
he may not be a snake but i have a bearded dragon who was never informed he's a dessert animal, i had him on my shoulder while bathing the dogs and he jumped right in and scared the living daylights out of our German-Shepard mix. it was funny he jumped in and she jumped out. after that i put a big thing of water in the tank with him, one of those big corner bowls for pythons and boas, n he swims in it almost daily. i have a corn who will sit in his bowl and one who hates water in all forms even mist, so it just depends on the animal

Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
Miqote
Nanci, I love those pictures, what a beautiful pool! Definately inspect your tub carefully! I used to always give my snakes baths in the tub, but I just moved into the new apartment. I stuck Chai in for some excersize, and I didn't notice but the is some kind of metal circle (??? I don't know what it is for) and it has a little gap on the wall-side of the tub (where I couldn't see). All of a sudden Chai was wedging his head through! I was so worried, but luckily there was no where for him to go and he shimmied right out. Chai seems to like swimming underwater also, but the other snakes swim normally or look for ways to escape.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
swimming