CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Show off your vivarium

Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #31
JohnnyK
When we bought our first snake, I tried aspen but within a few hours, my eyes were burning and watering and my breathing was getting slightly labored. So, I switched to the reptile carpets and have been using them since. I do have asthma and some allergies, so I knew the aspen was a long shot in terms of working for us. The reptile carpets in the tanks you see have not been changed since upgrading to those tanks last Nov.; 95% of the time (or more), the snakes will do their business on one of our “dedicated” snake bath towels – which I lay one across my chest and legs when handling them on our recliner a couple days after a feeding - we have it timed well - makes clean up a snap. For in the tank, the rare couple of times they have gone, I have some reptile wipes I use and it gets cleaned up - likely their next feeding though, I'll swap-out those carpets with the two sitting in storage and clean off the old ones and put them aside for swapping out months later. That's how I did it with their smaller tanks, always kept two carpets of each and would rotate them out every few months. Some do it more often, but since our snakes rarely go poo in their tanks, I see no need to change things any sooner - the tanks always look clean and there is no smell at all. Finally, for burrowing purposes, I put a thick amount of this brown paper material - paper strips (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11209377) – in a corner area of their tank – a little hard to see in the photo, but both areas are in the back right corners; they can fully hide and move through this stuff – eco-friendly and no issues for those with allergies to the other stuff.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #32
dmayer5
Finally got my snakes in this on Sunday.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #33
dmayer5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorgrim View Post
bam! brand new setup :0 details in my other thread!

That looks awesome! I am jealous ha. You should post some instructions on how you made it ;-)

Old 07-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #34
Triple M
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarpphireEnigma View Post
the large blackish rock i created too- its got levels and the such in side- i find him in there the most
Hey can You please post some pics of in the rock hide and tell me how you made it. It sounds really cool and There is one hide my snake doesn't like much so If I could see how you made that one I could make him a better hide. I am also bored so I need another project for my snake. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #35
xStaticSnow
I hope this thread isn't too dead at this point (: Saw it a while ago and I finally remembered to take some pictures of the viv, so I thought I would post them

The giant hide on the left was a dollar store find (: the main part was a coconut husk mat used to line a handing flowerpot, but I turned it upside down and cute an opening, then I used hot glue to attach some different plastic plants from the dollar store. I cut out all the wires so he doesn't get scratched on them. The hide is really quite large but he loves it and spends most of his time in there, occasionally laying his head near the entrance to watch the activity in the house. He also has a smaller leafy mossy rock cave hide on the right, but it's much smaller and you can't really see it behind the stick.

The wood in there was driftwood we found along the banks of rivers, then we let them dry for a couple days and baked them for a while. I like them because they feel almost sanded and they don't have any sharp or rough areas

I also love the black aspen because it makes my snow corn really pop out when he decides to go exploring in his tank

Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #36
Allalaskan
here is mine atm...

Not finished yet, but this is how it sits atm, with different decor inside.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #37
AliCat37
bleh I wish I had my nice vivs for my corns.. They need to grow so I can buy them cages!! I have my ball python and my boas cage decorated. And an empty cage that is waiting for a frilled dragon, I'll post pictures one day

Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #38
melek
Hi! This is my shelf for corns and pair boa constrictor ssp.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #39
WingedSweetheart
Quote:
Originally Posted by melek View Post
Hi! This is my shelf for corns and pair boa constrictor ssp.

I've been thinking about building my own set of vivs like this. How do you heat it. That is the one problem I've been trying to figure out. I want to use heat mats or flex watt heat tape. But I would like for them to be removable and somewhere that the snake can't come in direct contact with the heat source.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #40
melek
I use to heat each terrarium heating cable 50w. Heat source is covered with foil PVC (to build pond). The heating is on half the surface terrarium.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google