CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Snake Hide Ideas?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
CornyApollo
Snake Hide Ideas?

Apollo never uses his hide (a half log), he loves to sleep out in the open, and at his previous home (adopted), he merely had a tube for a hide, which leads me to believe that he is either used to not having one or dislikes his hide currently.

The only problem with getting a new hide is that he needs a hide that isn't too large (he's in a 20 gal. long) and that is rough - he uses his half log when he sheds. After trying google a few times, I found nothing.

So, hide ideas?
I love DIY, but our last project was a FAIL, so the easier the better. If it's an item, I'd prefer it to be under $20.

-The Viv thread made me realize I really need to spruce up his tank a bit.-

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
AliCat37
You can always place in a piece of plywood. It's cheap, you can probably find scraps around a building site, and it is really low to the ground, so they can curl up right under it by scooting out bedding and feel secure. Adult corns can definitely fit in paper towel tubes, so he may just like tight spaces! I have found half logs to be too large/insecure. I personally go out and find pieces of cotton wood bark that are flat or just slightly curved and place those in my cages for the corns. They LOVE them.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
JennaJ
I've had fun making hides out of Sculpey clay. You can probably find it at any craft or art supply store (or online). Fairly cheap, and you can make them any shape or size that you want! Shape and bake

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Sculpey-...5490022&sr=8-1

Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
Hexadeci
If he feels insecure under the half log, maybe he is looking for something with a "floor"? Tubes are good (especially if he's already used to it), if you can find one big enough, and cardboard is easily modified so you can get him out easily (see my thread). If he uses the log for shedding, why not leave it in along with whatever hide you find?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
CornyApollo
He has a tube, we actually had to buy expensive wrapping paper to get a tube large enough for him and his 20 gallon.

Sadly, he doesn't use his tube either... He literally sleeps in the front of the tank, sprawled out. If he was in the wild, he definitely wouldn't have lasted this long! LOL.

Love the ideas! Unfortunately I live in suburban Texas, and even gathering wood in the country is difficult - everyone's fenced in! Imagine explaining to the owners why I was trespassing (or they could shoot me first!).

I'm interested in the flat plywood idea and flower pots. Anyone have experience with flower pots?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Jdog3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaJ View Post
Shake and bake
[/url]
Don't worry I fixed it for you

As for he hides, I think it would be a good idea to get branches and vines,and put extra aspen near them so he can have almost have an underground hide(made from the half log.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Arpolis
I second the sculpy clay. They come in 2oz blocks or so and about 6-8 of them work for an adult hide. I just took bailing wire to make the shape of the hide, place the clay on top, bake & remove wire after cooling. I have went simple with little round or triangle caves or been creative and made dragon heads and snapping turtle shells. You can see some of them here http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104870

Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
CornyApollo
Sounds good, thanks!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
BloodyRed567
Are you looking for more natural looking hides? If it doesn't matter one idea is a Kleenex tissue box cut in half. Just throw away when soiled and replace.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
ZiggysMom
I have snakes with several types of "alternative" hides. Small packaging boxes, mostly from food stuff. The cardboard type material triangular corner protectors from glass tanks. Plastic flower pots and bowels with small doors scissored out, both from the local $1 store. Generally I find the snakes like things that look to me to be one or two sizes too small.
Just look for something made from a material you can modify if you need / want to and that you are willing to look at.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google