CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #81
diamondlil
you can't in the UK! Took weeks to find small electrical store selling Italian in-line rheostat, then 2 more weeks to get e-mail from company confirming that ph is italian symbol for live. Would have built my own if I'd seen this thread first

Old 02-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #82
shadraak
3 gang box?

so if i was to use a receptical on the gang box with 2 dimmers, 1 for each plug, like left was for top and right was for bottom, you would need a 3 gang box correct? if so how would you wire that up? or is it possible? i notice the receptical has 2 screws that you didn't use was thinking if maybe these are for each diff. receptacle or should i just build a diff dimmer box for each set? in other words i'd like to control the heattape and overhead light independantly from eachother.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:04 AM   #83
Lore
THANK YOU, THANK YOU for taking the time to post these instructions. I made 4 of these today and they work GREAT!

I got some strange looks tho buying all this stuff at WalMart cause I had something to pick up for my 4 toddlers too, I got the 4 ext. cords, 4 boxes, 4 dimmer switches, 4 face plates, 4 pacifiers...

LOL! They probably were thinking WHAT the heck is this woman DOING?!?!?

Anyhow, here is how they look in my current set-up.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #84
sfaoldguy
ROFL... I know this was back in 05, but the commentary about taping up the cut obtained while making this "how to" cracked me up... Glad my kids hadn't gone to sleep yet or I would have woke them up... LOL

Old 09-04-2006, 12:54 AM   #85
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdotSpot
1. I would say that this is JUST as safe as a regular Rheostat that you would buy at the store...if you'll look carefuly....THERE IS NO GROUND. In fact...I would probably say its safer(Read point number 2)
You can ground this by buying a three-prong extension cord rather than a two-prong. The green wire attaches to the ground wire of the cord, grounding the switch.

One other note: You can also sever the connection between the upper and lower sockets, controlling one with the dimmer switch and allowing the other to remain constant live, perhaps for a light. I can diagram that if anyone needs it.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:02 AM   #86
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdotSpot
You can certainly separate the two outlets on the receptacle, but you're going to be hard pressed to find room in the 2-gang box for another dimmer
If you look around your neighborhood hardware store, there is a dual-switch replacement that only takes up one space. It uses the same cover as an outlet, but has switches that operate side-to-side rather than up and down in each of the outlet spaces. You use a standard two outlet cover plate rather than a switch-and-outlet plate. They're commonly used in bathrooms that have had an exhaust fan retrofitted, so are easy to find.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #87
pgr8dnlvr
Just thought it might be time to bump this ever valuable thread...

Rebecca

Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #88
Kizerk
i have a quick question i bought all the things i needed

and i proceeded to cut the extension cord, and i realized that i don't have that cutting tool, so are those wire cutters? can i use scissors or no

Old 09-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #89
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizerk
...i proceeded to cut the extension cord, and i realized that i don't have that cutting tool, so are those wire cutters? can i use scissors or no
You can use scissors. With either scissors, wire cutters, or even a pocket knife, you need to be careful that you do not nick the copper wire itself when you are removing the sheathing. Cut ALMOST to the wire, and then twist the sheathing to finish separating it. Nicking the wire causes it to break more easily at that point and may make your device fail.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #90
Rocky Raccoon
Wish I had saw this thread before I spent 20 bucks on this damn Zoomed rheostat that cant keep anything constant.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google