CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Aggressive behaviour, not exactly for a corn snake but the story involves one!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
quidamphx
Aggressive behaviour, not exactly for a corn snake but the story involves one!

My snakes have all endured a switch around as I had to separate two corns a two days ago.

My question actually pertains to a prairie king snake. I had to put him in a very tiny viv for a day (he's still very young though) while I set up a new tank I got today (one of my corns that needed to be separated got moved to the king's viv which i cleaned out and lined with fresh bedding).

Since the setup, I've put my king back into what was his old viv, but I didn't think about changing the bedding to fresh stuff as it was done a day ago... but, as I said, it had one of my corns in there for that day.

It could be the switch, and the combination of being in a small space recently, but I went near the glass of the king snakes viv and it absolutely freaked out, striking the glass more than once. He has never shown even the slightest bit of aggressive behaviour before, and I'm wondering if anyone could suggest why it's happening now?

I should mention that when I picked him up from the tiny viv he didn't strike. When he struck at the glass i was trying to scratch off a smudge on the outside... maybe my finger also looked like an offending snake.

Anyway I'll watch him and see if this subsides but any comments/suggestions are appreciated. I'll clean out the tank again in a couple of days but I'd rather not keep moving him around if he's obviously stressed.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
rosewood
Its probably the scent from the corn being in there.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
wretchedprocess
Kings are known to eat corns. I've seen them get rather excitable if they can smell them too well. It's probably nothing that's going to harm him long-term.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google