• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The snake that won't eat

TarynAlisha

Hello all,

My snake Kairos seems to be having a bit of an issue eating lately. He/She (I don't know the sex) has not eaten since the end of April, despite my repeated attempts at feeding. Usually, this snake is the easiest feeder ever; never had a regurge or any problems at all. However, since the end of April it has been refusing to eat and will completely ignore a dangled mouse. Nothing about how I present the food has changed, but Kairos just seems completely uninterested.

This doesn't seem to have affected its health however. Kairos is still extremely active and just shed completely. Drinking normal amounts of water too. Still extremely strong and curious, climbing all over the place. Temps of the UTH are normal.

Also, this same thing happened around this time of year last year - but not the year before. Eventually in early July she accepted food again which is why I have not posted this sooner - I am wondering if this is a "mating season" thing?

Should I be concerned and if so what steps should I take other than regular offerings of food (sucks though because once I thaw the mice I have to throw them away when she refuses them. waste of food and money).

Thanks, Taryn

It sounds like a mating season thing to me! I have a number of snakes that have been refusing for one or two months now, both males and two year old females. You could offer as infrequently as once every two or three weeks, and you could offer smaller mice, say fuzzy size, so you aren't wasting so much.

It sounds like a mating season thing to me! I have a number of snakes that have been refusing for one or two months now, both males and two year old females. You could offer as infrequently as once every two or three weeks, and you could offer smaller mice, say fuzzy size, so you aren't wasting so much.

I SECOND THAT!!

I fifth it...lol
I had a few of mine (males) that were driving me crazy not eating. Finally over the wk they are slowly eating again. This is the first yr I'm experiencing this.

Back