CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Ghetto Hatchlingt Rack!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #41
Lennycorn

Well if ghetto is your thing you nail it!!! But the moisture is a concern in the tubs as stated.

What type of engineer were you for 26 years anyway?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #42
RobbiesCornField
Ya know what? This guy is obviously set in his ways, and nothing is gonna change that; there's really no point going on with this, except to beat a dead horse, belittle, and insult.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
CornBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennycorn View Post

Well if ghetto is your thing you nail it!!! But the moisture is a concern in the tubs as stated.

What type of engineer were you for 26 years anyway?
Hi Lennycorn,

Hey, I said it's ghetto!

To answer your question, I was process engineer, paper mill.

One other list member got the right idea, it's just a seasonal kind of thing.
Probably more important to it all, I have had a lot of experience designing systems. I have found that it is extremely rare to get everything right the first time. Making a cheap, functional prototype is a great option whenever feasible.
I actually made some changes before I put any snakes in this one, the way I was putting the wire behind the tubs first was totally unacceptable, the temps in each tub were markedly different. So I went back to the drawing board and a solution was derived.

To me, the biggest drawback is that it's a little flimsy (lightweight), so I keep it where my kids won't knock it over. But it works the nuts, the temps in each tub are remarkably consistent. Yup, I use a chef's pocket thermometer to check temps, the probe is a perfect length to measure the heat at the point were the heat wire crosses under the tub. One top tub has a thermostat probe to keep temps perfect. It has actually been unplugged for the last few weeks.

The excess moisture in the front of the tubs was just in the beginning, due to water dishes that were too full and spilled too easily. Who knew baby snakes were such little piggies? Once we figured that out, I would only notice a little condensation on the open end if the heat was on. With the back of the box closed, it is very efficient with heat, but only allows for limited ventilation. I think from this I have learned that a winter rack would benefit from ventilation front and back.

I just got a second batch pipping yesterday, so I need to move a couple of the first guys out of the rack to make room!
If I do it again next spring, I may need to build new & bigger.
But it's all good!
Cheers

Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #44
gluttony32

Fyi chefs stopped using those thermometers 5 years ago because they are so inconsistent with temperature and must be calibrated regularly. Besides they are to be used with temps over 100 degrees, they dont even register if the temps are too low...I have been a chef for 15 years and those thermometers are dollar store, like your rack.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #45
Allalaskan
With the use of things like !!! and GREAT all the time, its almost like hes amped out on something lol.

Makes me thing of some one Tony the tiger on speed. Just saying lol.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #46
Sai_Keths
First of all, I like the design, and I think I might make one as a temporary housing when I start breeding.
Then again I do have some concerns.
I think this works perfectly in the few summer months of dry heat, but once winter or humidity rolls around, this may need to be scrapped. I wouldn't be concerned about the cardboard bursting into flames from heat, what I would be concerned about is a spark created by the heating, because, no matter how meticulous you are, Murphy's law is always looming over our shoulder. But as long as there is no more excess humidity in the bins, you should be good for now.
And good job, even with the excess of sarcastic s, you did a pretty good job dealing with a flame war.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #47
Lyion
Even I can see why this has caused a flame war (yes, pun intended)

Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #48
Lineman_dh
Hey yall im havn a really hard time finding the new post button what page is it located

Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #49
Pugsley
At the top left of the forum you want to start a new post in, is a botton titled New Thread, click on that you Bob's your uncle!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google