CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Brainstorming ideas for a new reusable substrate

Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #21
proileri
I'd stick to throwing stuff out. Can you get anything like recycled newspaper or cheap paper towels around there? Or just drive to the store and pick up a year's worth of aspen.. Shouldn't be that difficult to arrange it so that the bedding doesn't spread everywhere, really

The thing is, if it's not absorbant, all the waste is going to spread around, and if it is absorbant, it's difficult to get thoroughly cleaned. Plus you end up using money in washing the stuff, anyway.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #22
beautifullywild77
I have used burping clothes or receiving blankets for snakes and at the moment for an injured leopard gecko. But I've only used them as temporary substrate.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
SquamishSerpents
I'm still on the shop towels actually and they're working out great. If we didn't live in a 900 square foot apartment, it might be a LITTLE easier to store a years worth of aspen, lol!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
MindsEyeExotics
I use newspaper as a liner and then shredded junk mail and newspaper as something for them to burrow in and they like it alot it seems. It's recycling because newspaper would otherwise just be thrown out. And you can take it a step further and compost the used paper afterwards. I have a separate "poop" compost pile that I put used bedding and cat litter in that after it sits for a couple years is used to fertilize non food plants as to be safe about any bacteria that might still be lingering around in it. If it composts long enough even "humanure" is supposedly safe to use on food, but just to be sure any animal waste would only be used on trees and flowers. So this way it's never really throwing anything out. I'm a recycling fanatic haha. I also had a reticulated python eat a towel..dont think this is of concern for a corn..but it scared me, he made it ok but it wasn't a pleasant experience

Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #25
MysticExotics
I use newspaper as well. It get a ton of it free. Coworkers who bring in the sunday paper, the weekly ads mailed out, etc.
I hadn't thought about using the shredded paper for burrowing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google