CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Corn snake owners not into making fake rocks?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
EsotericForest
Corn snake owners not into making fake rocks?

When I first came into the reptile keeping hobby, I came into it with leopard geckos and other types of lizards. From my observations, people who keep lizards and especially bearded dragons are much more into making fake rocks or naturalistic backgrounds carved out of polystyrene, covered in grout, painted, and sealed. Being the artistic hands on person that I am, it's something I have enjoyed doing in the past. What I'm wondering is, is there a particular reason nobody around here seems to do that for their corns, or is it just not as popular a thing to do since most people here seem to just keep their snakes in plastic bins anyway.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
EddieA
I just find all that stuff a pain to clean. I usually clean 10-12 bins at a time (about 3-4 times a week) and it's much easier and quicker without the extra stuff.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
EsotericForest
Gecko people seem to be more into the entire overall "display" if you will from what I've seen. But they have to clean the stuff too...so why does it make it worth it to them? Ah, now the question is, does a certain personality type tend more toward keeping snakes, while another tends more towards geckos? Perhaps I'm thinking about this a little too hard .

Old 06-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
diamondlil
It may well depend on how many snakes or geckos a person keeps. I've certainly seen gecko breeders show off racks of tubs.
Or, more likely, geckos are quite delicate animals in comparison to a snake that will squish or move any decorations around! I change the decor in Blossom's viv quite often, but it's for my benefit, not hers and if she trashed it like the snakes do I wouldn't put so much effort in.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
EddieA
I'm a gecko person too!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
EsotericForest
Wow, now that takes fancy dining to a new level

Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericForest View Post
Wow, now that takes fancy dining to a new level
Hmmmmmmmmm, Blossom's actually overdue a change of scenery now, I'll have to get that put right!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
wax32
Insane gecko habitats.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
dionythicus
Lovin' the Buddhist sanctuary look!!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
azhketh
I've tried making fake rock but I'm not very good at it. I might make another attempt with the cabinet I'm turning into a reptile enclosure, once I figure out what animal to put in there. For my two snakes, they have somewhat natural looking tanks (as natural as they can be with fake plants, anyway) but I'm building a rack for them now. It's just too much trouble trying to get them out or clean, and those 20gals take up too much space. I still plan on dressing up their tubs some, with fake plants and such, but I think the tubs being shorter and wider will give me better access.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google