CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

17 week old con snake

Old 05-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #11
rosewood
Well I was having huge issues trying to upload vids to my site so that I could send you all a link and I finally figured it out! Anyways it took me a while to do that so I didnt get around to the vids tonight but will do some tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Strawberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
Just pick up the snake no matter how much it fusses. It will actually become calmer faster if you take it right out of its home. Once it realizes your not out to kill it it should calm down enough that it will slither from hand to hand at a reasonable pace. I will probably make a vid tonight and make two more tomorrow, one of me holding each of my newer girls.
That makes sense. I was trying to hold it inside it's tank because I didn't want it to jump out of my hands. It might help to remove it from it's tank quickly so it doesn't have anywhere to go. I'll give that a try tonight. So far it hasn't attempted to strike, but it has curled up and rattled it's tail against it's water bowl. I'm not afraid of getting bit, or having it poop on me.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Strawberry
Quote:
Well I was having huge issues trying to upload vids to my site so that I could send you all a link and I finally figured it out! Anyways it took me a while to do that so I didnt get around to the vids tonight but will do some tomorrow.
Thanks! I look forward to viewing your vids.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #14
rosewood
Ok I did two videos just a few min ago, they are linked to my site, here is the URL:

http://rosewoodcorns.webs.com/apps/v.../2987411-corns

Hope it helps!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #15
habistatman
Heather thats a good video and a really well put together site.I had a lot of experience with pythons before i got my corn snakes and what really suprised me about corns is just how fast they can move and the unexpected jerky movements they can make. It might be worth mentioning this in your video as these things can catch you out when you first start handling them.

Kindest regards

habistatman

Old 05-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
bfreewally1
I`ve found that even no contact works. He hardly ever gets handled. They calm down once they get used to their enclosure and you walking by to look or feed it or clean his enclosure and give fresh water. It`s his home and he accepts it now and seeing me. He was wild caught and would rattle and bite for the first month or so. Now that I`ve had him for 2 yrs. I just go and pick him up every month or so and he`s fine with it..

Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Strawberry
Quote:
Ok I did two videos just a few min ago, they are linked to my site, here is the URL:

Hope it helps!
These are perfect! That's exactly how my snake behaves. Mine is about 7 months. Thanks for putting these together, I am going to give it a try tonight.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
bfreewally1
Nice post. You did it exactly right. I live in s. fl. where cornsnakes used to be common. They are not so common anymore due to habitat loss and the cold freeze we had last winter. I don`t condone catching and keeping wild ones but I feel I saved the one I have now from death because he was crossing a road in a populated area.. He`s a beautiful specimen..

Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
rosewood
Thanks guys! Once my corn eggs hatch I will do a couple of vids with the craziest of the bunch for those of you who have particularly sporadic corns

Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #20
Draekaar
Quote:

Hope it helps!
It's strange, my corn, about the same age as saga, doesn't and hasn't ever acted like yours (well okay except once when she had moodswings lol)... I have her out now, she moves cautiously, slowly moving along my hand and my desk, she has never "zipped" out of my hands, and will often just sit in my hand for the first 15 minutes of my handling her... I wonder if it's because I pick her up when she was sleeping sometimes? but even if she's been out and about for a bit she still acts very cautious...

When she had a strange mood the other week, I was playing with her on the bed (she likes to climb in the blanketfolds), and I guess I scared her by touching her tail, she zoomed off and fell off the bad =S caught her, but. I touch her tail all the time when handling and normally get no reaction, so it caught me off guard, but she seems to be back to her abnormal self heck, I've even turned her upsidedown and she was slow to right herself (though I think that was partly cause she was pretzel'd).

very confusing to have a snake that acts differently than most corns, but i'm glad shes so easy to handle. I showed her your vids and told her to take notes anyway

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google