CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Aggresive behaviour change

Old 05-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
sloafer
Aggresive behaviour change

My son has 2 corns, 1 male and 1 female. Following a successful breeding the male has become very aggressive in his behaviour.

The pair we kept together until the female laid and since the seperation the male has become increasingly aggressive. We have only had the male for a few months and when he came to us was under weight and I do not think he had been handle much. However he was never aggressive just very active and like lighting through your hands when handled.

Since the seperation he has struck out whilst his water is changes and repeatidly struck out a people viewing him through the glass. when viewed he usually adopts an aggressive posture.

Is this behaviour just due to the seperation and now the female has gone he feels the need to defend his terroritry?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
VickyChaiTea
This is not aggression, this is defensive behavior. He could be nearing a shed, this can make snakes irritable and when their eyes cloud over it is easy to startle or scare them, so they can feel defensive during this time.

Are you handling him often? Give him at least a day after he eats, then gently take him out. Don't put your hand in and take it away quickly when he looks at you, and don't bother trying to pick him up if his neck is in the S shape and he's going to strike. Just go in there and pick him up at the center of his body, scooping him from below. Don't wave your hand in front of his face, and just generally don't restrain him much. Be his ground, essentially. Unless he is shooting out of your hands, obviously then you'd stop him lol.

You'd be surprised about how much of a difference it makes when you go in with confidence but not in a scary way. If you are hesitant and go in then go out and pull your hand back a lot, that changes the whole game for the snake. It means he can control you, and that's not what you want.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
rosewood
All of my males get a bit standoffish during the couple of months following breeding season.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
bitsy
I'd advise a quick check of the floor temps in his tank at both the warm and cool sides. If they overheat, then they can become particularly antsy.

Corns aren't territorial, so that's not the issue.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
sloafer
Thanks for all your help

after consulting with the shop I bought "Rocky" my female from I believe that "woods" the male is probally just slightly annoyed I have taken his mate away, and is still a little snakey bundled of frustration as she has laid and he thought his luck was in again.

I have got his some new branches to climb on and hope this will help him deal with his pent up frustrations!

Once again thanks for your help.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
smallet
Males can get a little aggressive after breeding season. Also, when you seperate snakes that have been together for a long time it causes them to be stressed. Before they were always aware of the other snake. Now they can't tell where it is and makes them a bit paranoid. It will go away if you take the time to work with him. Sometimes even just open his viv and stand there for a bit till he relaxes. It might take ten minutes or so. But usually when they see you are not going in right away they figure nothing is out to get them and they relax. But like the others said check temps, and always go in with confidence, don't let the snake be in control.

I have to do the wait thing with a couple of my more high strung boas so they don't think I am food. And it works well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google