CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Really worried about tonight's feeding. Weird things.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
toxiclight
I've had an adult mouse kinda burst it's belly when we heated it. Disgusting, but the snake didn't mind (I was patting it dry at the time...I'd thawed directly in hot water because I was out of baggies).

And we have one snake that persistently headbutts/faux strikes her food before finally taking it. I think we did feed her one that was a bit too hot back when we first got her, so she always checks the temp before digging in now

Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Cassie16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post

Just to clarify, the mouse wasn't in the cup when you put it in the microwave...right? I use a Temp Gun to check the temp of the mice before I feed. I usually aim for somewhere in the 90's; that's the typical body temp of a living mouse anyways.

If you don't have a name picked out yet, may I suggest "BLOOD BATH!!!"(exclamation points must be included in his/her name if this name is adopted)?
I didn't put the mouse in the microwave. I can't stand dried food on the sides of a microwave, let alone mouse guts. lol.

I actually am thinking of changing my snakes name, but I don't know if I'll go with "BLOOD BATH!!!" haha. The exclamation points remind me of my hometown; when I was six or so, whoever was in charge of the city decided to officially change the town's name from plain old, "Hamilton" to "Hamilton!" It was so ridiculous, and after about a year, they changed it back.

It's kind of hard to make a snake's name stick, I've found. Since you can't exactly call a snake like you can a dog, I find that I don't use the name enough. It was originally "Pyry" (pronounced pie-ree), but when I type it out, my autocorrect always changes it to "Pyre", which is not fitting for a snow morph at all. I've been thinking of the name "Pangaea" (Pan-gia, it's the name of the original continent on Earth, before it split up into the Americas, Europe, etc.) But then I'm thinking I should save that name for the future. If I ever get a snake with a pattern where the saddles connect (I thought I've read that they have those- unsure of the name, though), Pangaea would be way more appropriate. I could then have snakes called, "Pan" and "Pie", and that would be rather cute. Ok I've gone off on huge tangent now.

To everyone else, thanks so much for reading this and providing input. It's good to know that nothing abnormal occurred. I also think it's pointless for me to put the water in the microwave if hot water will suffice just as well.

And how do you take the temperature of the mice, Nanci??

Also, it seems as if some people thaw in plastic bags and some thaw the mice "naked". Is one better than the other? I don't thaw in plastic bags, and so the mice are wet when I feed them.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
BigByrd47119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie16 View Post
And how do you take the temperature of the mice, Nanci??

Also, it seems as if some people thaw in plastic bags and some thaw the mice "naked". Is one better than the other? I don't thaw in plastic bags, and so the mice are wet when I feed them.
I use a Digital Temp Gun like you would find at any local hardware store.

When I was first buying f/t mice I got them from PetSmart, which means the mice were "Arctic Mice." They come in little baggies already and the directions suggest that you keep them in there. However since moving on to bulk I have stopped using baggies. I simply wipe them down a bit.

I think the biggest reason they suggest you use baggies is because many new owners will feed in the tank/tub/Viv. A wet mouse is far more susceptible to picking up substrate causing the snake to ingest it as well as the mouse.

Cool names by the way. Pangaea would be an awesome name for a Miami! Of course I just love Miami's in general so any name would be fine so long as its a Miami! Oh bother, we are off topic again...

Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
Cassie16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
I use a Digital Temp Gun like you would find at any local hardware store.

When I was first buying f/t mice I got them from PetSmart, which means the mice were "Arctic Mice." They come in little baggies already and the directions suggest that you keep them in there. However since moving on to bulk I have stopped using baggies. I simply wipe them down a bit.

I think the biggest reason they suggest you use baggies is because many new owners will feed in the tank/tub/Viv. A wet mouse is far more susceptible to picking up substrate causing the snake to ingest it as well as the mouse.

Cool names by the way. Pangaea would be an awesome name for a Miami! Of course I just love Miami's in general so any name would be fine so long as its a Miami! Oh bother, we are off topic again...
Oh no, now I'm going to be tempted to go out and buy a temperature gun. I need to stop getting on these forums. It influences me to buy too many things for my snake. lol

Arctic mice is actually the brand I'm using. They're kind of expensive for what you end up getting. I need to start ordering in bulk, I just don't know how long I'll be on fuzzies, and if it will be worth it. I guess once my scale comes in I'll have a better idea.

I didn't notice on the box that it directs you to leave them in the baggies. Probably because I was too amused by the fact that the box reads, "not for human consumption!" as if that's been a problem in the past.

I just looked up the Miami phase, they are really neat looking! The more corn snakes I see, the more I want another one. And another. These things are addictive..

Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
toxiclight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie16 View Post
The more corn snakes I see, the more I want another one. And another. These things are addictive..
Welcome to the world of cornsnakes They're like pokemon...gotta catch (have) them all

Old 05-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #16
Dee Dee
I'm totally with u on the point about them being addictive. I hav just 1 corn snake right now. An amelanistic butter corn called 'Popcorn'. I've had her 4 about 2 1/2 weeks so I'm new 2 the snake world, but already I am dying 2 get anuva 1. She is my snake technically so the next 1 will b my hubby's 'technically' ;-) lol. I'm gonna hav 2 wait a while yet anyway cos we really don't hav the space 4 anuva enclosure yet. When we get our own place then I'll work on my hubby again :-p lol.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
Riyeko
Just last week i was feeding my own boa and put one of the thawed out frozen mice in her feeding tank with her.
She nudged it and then went after it, and wham, all of the insides of the mouse came out.
It was really nasty and my snake let go like "eww its leaking".. but after I put a blanket over her feeding tank and got everyone out of the kitchen (we are feeding them in the kitchen for now), she ate it right quick.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Riyeko
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxiclight View Post
Welcome to the world of cornsnakes They're like pokemon...gotta catch (have) them all
Sorry for the double post.

But THIS.
This this and more this.
Every time i see another corn snake im like "omg that is so awesome, WANT".
But i try and hold back knowing that im going to have enough on my plate when the weather clears enough for the shipping of the two im getting this week.
Its just one of those things.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:40 AM   #19
Cassie16
haha, what a prissy girl! I can't say I blame her, though!

I've noticed sometimes the mice get bloody little noses after they thaw a bit. That part actually makes me a bit sad for some reason. I guess I like to think of them as "slabs of meat" much like anything I would eat, but the bloody noses makes me admit that they're still whole.

Actually, I'm going to go so far as to say that I think the frozen mice are adorable. (except for when they're exploding..haha) I always mentally "thank them" for their services. I can't help it. They've got fuzzy little whiskeys and pokey little noses.

I don't know how anyone could feed live. Aside from the obvious debate, I think I would cry my eyes out having to witness that.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #20
Dee Dee
I'm sooo with u cassie. My corn is still young & so she's eating pinkys right now & everytime I take 1 out of the freezer 2 defrost I kinda look @ it's lil nose & lil tail & think 'aw! I'm so sorry lil pinky mouse'. I, like u, wud hav a real problem feeding live mice. It's probably partly because I actually had pet mice a few yrs back. I hav 2 tell myself th@ I eat meat & so does my snake so feeding her is no different than feeding myself. End of the day I want popcorn 2 b happy & healthy & vegetarianism is not an option so feeding her mice is just a fact of life. Oddly I find it fascinating 2 watch her eat tho :-/ lol. Yeah I'm a bit weird aren't I?! Lol :-p

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google