CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Sudden fearful behavior

Old 05-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Ruth89
Unhappy Sudden fearful behavior

My little Jasper did something weird.

I recently moved across the state. When I got to my new place, I took Jasper from his carrier to his big tank, well I tried... When I reached in to pick him up, he jumped out! He seemed very frightened. This was about a week ago. He was fine after that until yesterday.

I went to take him out for a while and when my finger got close to him, he literally jumped and flew across the tank. I closed him up to let him calm down but when I moved my had too close to the glass, he did it again.

He has never done this before so I am a little worried. He was very frantic for the rest of the evening.

I don't know what caused this

Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
bitsy
Basically, you need to treat him as though he's just arrived. Even though he's in the same tank with the same fittings, he's been jiggled about during transporting and is now in a peculiar place which smells different.

I'd be inclined to leave him completely alone for a week, as you would do with a new arrival. Let him settle down and get used to the new smells. He should be back to his old self soon.

If he's due a shed, this could also be making him more skittish.

Also, just quickly double-check that the temp on the floor isn't too high as that can make them flighty as well.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Ruth89
thank you for the insight!

Old 05-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
wretchedprocess
He's just being spooky. He should calm down again soon.

I have a yearling named Pumpkinseed. She's a truly awesome snake--friendly, curious, loves to be out and explore. I've known her since she was an egg, and did a lot of the early socializing of her clutch. Before I took her home, her nickname was "Spitfire", and every time I opened her bin I knew I needed to be ready to catch her as she went flying. She also always bit me at least twice. (Aaaaw.)

After about three weeks of getting used to the world, though, she's never been a bit like that again. And I'm glad-- she's one of my go-to snakes when I need a slithery visit. But I wouldn't be surprised if, when we move this fall, there's a brief resurgence of Little Miss Spitfire. She'll get back to normal, though. And I bet your guy will too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google