CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Ssssnake Sssssounds

Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
ridelikeagrl
Ssssnake Sssssounds

I am wondering if anyone knows what it means when a snake says "sssssss", for lack of a better spelling lol

Dylan will make this sound every so often, and it gets more frequent the longer I have him out. He is a very chill snake, loves slithering all over me, especially in my hair. It seems as though its a happy sound because it happens when he's cruising on his human highway stealling my heat, but I am slightly concerned that it may be respitory issues although he has no symptoms. I can't find anything regarding snakes sounds anywhere!

Anyone have any experience or insight for me?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
K. Rene
Normally hearing sounds isn't a good sign, in corns anyway, some snakes do his but I don't think corns do it. Could be some scar tissue in the nasal opening that's making the sound, and the longer you have it out the faster it breathes...

Old 05-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
dan803
He doesn't do it every time he breathes though, does he? My Mango makes a wheezing/hissing sound when he's been out for a while. Somebody else here said it could be excitement, positive or negative, when I asked about it. He's a very sweet and gentle snake. I was worried about RI too at first, but he had rubbed his snout raw trying to escape with his previous owner which I believe might have something to do with it. He seems perfectly healthy otherwise.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Naagas
I also notice that sound when I've had a snake out for a while. I don't know if it is heavy breathing or excitement or both.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
ridelikeagrl
Ya it's not all the time, just after I've had him out for a while and he's been slithering on me and has gotten warmer does it start and then get more frequent. My Dylan is a very sweet and gentle snake as well. It seems to me that excitment sounds or heavy breathing like the right description. I've done some reading on respitory diseases, and I'm no expert, but I really don't think that it's pneumonia or anything.
For now I will say it's nothing to be concerned about, but I will keep an eye out for any other suspicious signs.
Thanks for the replys! Makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one experiencing this

Old 06-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Naagas
I've had snakes with RIs, and it is definitely not the same sound.
The RIs sound like a sick person... wheezing, sneezing, etc. It is actually pretty cute to hear a snake sneeze, even though it means that they are sick.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google