CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

In My Face

Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
ChiryokuOkami
In My Face

I just acquired an aprox. 1 month old smoke/blood hybrid corn named Remmy. He is quite active but one thing he does confuses me greatly.
I have seen him stand up vertically, with no support, up to 5 inches off my hand. Is this normal? My uncle owns a boa who cannot stand to be suspended in the air.
Also.... Remmy is quite interested in my face.... When i hold him and he is in range he will extend to put his face very close to my nose/eyes and flick his tongue at me... What is he doing?!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
TheJadeReptile
That is really normal. Both of mine do that. They are just curious. Mine get really interested, especially when I start flicking my tongue back at them.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Ares2010
My male corn, Ares, does that too. He goes straight for my nose and flicks his tongue on it and then tries to slide up my nose and get into my hair. I think it's them trying to smell you. Or they smell something on you. Ares sometimes goes for my mouth too.. again, smelling something I just ate etc.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
lumene
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeReptile View Post
That is really normal. Both of mine do that. They are just curious. Mine get really interested, especially when I start flicking my tongue back at them.
I did that once, and my snake bit my tongue... it was painful.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
TheJadeReptile
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumene View Post
Yes well. I only do it, when they are still in there cage. So there is something between me and them. ;D

Old 06-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
lumene
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeReptile View Post
Yes well. I only do it, when they are still in there cage. So there is something between me and them. ;D
Yeah, I do that now, but back when I was a noob... lol, lesson learned.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
neiman07
its snakes kiss's =] i love when mine do that.. scared me the first time cause all i could about was getting munched on lol

Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
darth-hayzer
mine does that too !! funny when she flicks her tongue and it tickles my nose !!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
rosewood
There could be a more scientific answer to it. I read some where that some snakes can track CO2 output from their prey at close range.....soooooo what you consider a "kiss" could be the snake trying to figure out if their is food...on your face..... lol!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Cassie16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumene View Post
Not to be callous, but...LOL. I'm sorry for your pain, but that image made me inwardly giggle Did he let go right away??

I now know to keep my tongue in my mouth when holding Pangaea.

I've not been bitten yet. Kind of curious to know how it feels, but if it ever does happen, I pray that it's not my tongue that gets attacked!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google