CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Brainstorming ideas for a new reusable substrate

Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
SquamishSerpents
You think? I do housekeeping and wash all of my own microfibres and reuse them. I've been reusing them for about a year+. I wash them in hot water and once the washer is full I let them soak for an hour or so, and then start the washer again. No foul odors or anything of the sort from them.

I am currently still really liking the shop towels though. So who knows, maybe I won't even switch over

Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
SquamishSerpents
Good pint about the scales though, I imagine if they got caught in the loops it would peel their scales back a bit.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
lovehatepassion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
You think? I do housekeeping and wash all of my own microfibres and reuse them. I've been reusing them for about a year+. I wash them in hot water and once the washer is full I let them soak for an hour or so, and then start the washer again. No foul odors or anything of the sort from them.

I am currently still really liking the shop towels though. So who knows, maybe I won't even switch over
what do you mean by microfibers?

if youre still talking towels do you urinate and defecate on your towels often? it makes a big difference. sweat/dirt/dead skin are one thing. this is totally different.

thats why reptile carpet is frowned on by lots of people. even if you wash it... its still a breeding grown for bacteria. same thing with towels.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
AliCat37
It wasn't like the actual scales though.. it's like they split in half and clear parts started to peel up, leaving a rough looking left over scale. Their bellies were the worst, cracking with the scales doing the same splitting- I thought it was scale rot. I washed their towels every time I found urates/feces and replaced them with a fresh towel, but the problems still happened. I switched to paper towels and had to use neosporin on some of the scales on the ball python especially. It took a few sheds for them to get back to normal. I also tried shop carpet, and that was 100x worse, so I stuck with paper towels and eventually aspen.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
SquamishSerpents
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehatepassion View Post
what do you mean by microfibers?

if youre still talking towels do you urinate and defecate on your towels often? it makes a big difference. sweat/dirt/dead skin are one thing. this is totally different.

thats why reptile carpet is frowned on by lots of people. even if you wash it... its still a breeding grown for bacteria. same thing with towels.
Well no I don't urinate and defecate on my towels, lol. But yes, I do clean toilets with them which does usually include urine and waste, lol. It's a dirty job!!

I mean something like this, or similar to the ShamWow towels:

I could see what you mean about them getting dirty over time, but wouldn't it be better than throwing away so much newspaper/paper towel/shop towel? That's the part I just really hate. I wish there were something re-usable.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Dakafall
Not surehow well this would work, but initially I don't see any immediate negatives
http://www.rubbermulch.com/
It's environmentally friendly and reusable

Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
SquamishSerpents
Pretty cool, but it looks like there are tons of teeny cracks all over the surface of the mats. Also I'm looking for something absorbent, so I don' thave to bathe every snake when they slither around in their poopy messes :P

I'm still on shop towel currently.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #18
RobbiesCornField
Take a look at the Bioactive Substrate System recommended in The Art of Keeping Snakes. I'm getting ready to switch over all of my animals to that. It's not reusable, per say, but you don't need to replace it. It does require a bit of weekly maintenance ("watering", and raking the soil); however, it's still going to be less work than taking out towels and washing them every week.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #19
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakafall View Post
Not surehow well this would work, but initially I don't see any immediate negatives
http://www.rubbermulch.com/
It's environmentally friendly and reusable
It depends on the size that you get. If you get some of the coarser/larger pieces, there are actually bits of wire protruding from some of the pieces. I've even gotten a piece of wire from one of the smallest grounds stuck in between my toes one time (my parents had it in the front yard instead of traditional mulch).

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
Dakafall
The rubber crumb one was the one that had me intrigued. I looked around and found places that have it advertised as "100% rubber, absolutely no metal" and is about $1/lb

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google