CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

strang dot on side?

Old 04-05-2002, 11:36 PM   #1
nicky
strang dot on side?

yo everyone,
I was wondering ahwile ago when i took my snake out I noticed and odd blacky/brown dot surronded by orange and red. My first thought was MITES!! As I lokked closer thoe i noticed it never moved and there was olny one of them. It wasen't deep like a cut is it a berth mark possibly? I'd post a pic if i had a digital camra. Maybe i'll consult my local vet? Any help greatly appraciated thanx!

Old 04-06-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
Hurley
Question Dot on side

Mites are about the size of a grain of pepper. They tend to prefer to get in the 'creases', so you find them in the margins of the eyes, in the chin grooves, and between scales. They like to get in the grooves of the eyes, and may cause irritation and cause the eyes to look a little swollen. They are also generally easy to wipe off. After letting the snake crawl through your hands, sometimes you may see them on your hand. Another thing you can do is put the snake in a container with some warm water and let it swim around for a bit. Mites tend to come off in the water, so you would see little dark 'floaties'. Otherwise use a magnifying glass, you should be able to see the legs on a mite with just a little magnification.

Good luck, let's see a pic of the spot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google