CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

New chat room test site I set up

Old 01-17-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
Rich Z
Arrow New chat room test site I set up

I just installed an evaluation copy of some CHAT software to try out that I am thinking about buying. I want to put this capability here for everyone to use, if they want to. Now this is not cheap software, so I want this evaluation copy to be wrung out sufficiently for two reasons:

(1) To see how well it runs on my new server (the evaluation version is limited to a single room and 30 simultaneous users).

(2) To see whether enough people will use this to make it worthwhile for me to fork out the funds for it.

So if you all don't mind, how about giving it a whirl and tell me what you think of it. To be honest, I don't use chat boards like this, so I don't know what sort of functionality I should be aiming for. So I am definitely open to suggestions on this.

Anyway, here's the link to it:

HerpChat

Old 01-17-2003, 11:20 PM   #2
BeniciaBrian
I like it Rich. Didn't chat with anyone. I was the only one in the room. I like the features and it appears to be easy to use. I hope it works out.

Old 01-17-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
Alicia
Looks interesting. I don't usually use chat rooms but this might be fun. I'll have to come back when I have more time and check out how to use everything

Old 01-18-2003, 01:18 AM   #4
dartguy
VERY COOL

!!!

Old 01-18-2003, 02:13 AM   #5
carol
Hey Rich, I figured out you have to go to settings and click on "auto pop up private messages" that is why I didn't get the box at first. It is fun playing with something new!

Old 01-18-2003, 04:03 AM   #6
Rich Z
Carol,

Yeah, I found that checkbox as well. I kind of like that chat thingy. I can see where it would suck away a lot of hours in a day, though. Probably would be great if you are down with the flu to curl up with a laptop and spend hours chatting there with people. It's a lot more 'real time' than the forums are. I wish there was a way to check to see how many people actually frequent it though. Maybe that comes with the real package...

If I buy the package, I'll be able to set it up so that there can be any number of separate rooms off of the main 'lobby'. So I can set up separate rooms for cornsnakes, pythons, leopard geckos, etc. that people can log into and talk about things specific to their interests. I thought I saw a 'save' button there as well so people could actually save their own transcript of the entire conversation.

I took a look at some other chat packages, but none of them seemed to have the inherent features this one does. Sigh... there goes more $$$ out of my pocket......

But I think it will be money spent on something that will be fun, so that's not so bad, I guess.

Old 01-18-2003, 11:50 AM   #7
Hope H
Love It!

Yes Rich, I really Like it! It would be nice to come here and and share info and hang out after a long day. With all the snow and 10* temps, this is the perfect way to spend an evening! Hope it works out...

Old 01-18-2003, 12:25 PM   #8
CornCrazy
Great Chat Room, Rich!

I had fun! I hope you decide to get it!

Old 01-18-2003, 12:36 PM   #9
snakemanone
cool

looks great.

will there be a regular chat night???

happy herping herpers......................STEVE

Old 01-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #10
exitree
it's awsome but i'm getting a bit lonely in here all by myself
but I think you should definetally get it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google