CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY: Aquarium Tops for Reptiles

Old 09-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Jimmysan00
DIY: Aquarium Tops for Reptiles

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Materials:
1 x 2 (for top section) Length dependent upon tank size
1 x 3 (for side section/frame for non-secured lids for use with most lizards) Length dependent upon tank size
1 x 4 (for side section/frame for secured lids for use with snakes) Length dependent upon tank size
* You want the 1 x 2s & 1 x 3s (or 1 x 4s) to be as straight as you can get, no bows or curves in any direction.
1/8-inch Plexiglass
Window Screen
½-inch hardware cloth (optional – used for reinforcing strength of window screen. Recommended for use with snakes)
½-inch Wire Staples/Nails (small fence-type staples/nails)
1 ¼-inch finish nails (I used 3D-bright finish nails) Aprox. 50 – 60 nails
1 ¼-inch screws (wood or drywall) Aprox. 8
3/8-inch x 1 ½-inch nylon coarse thread hex bolt - Quantity: 2
One drill bit & tap set for 3/8” – 16nc threads (3/8”-16nc tap and drill bit #0)
Small “T” brackets or “L” brackets - Quantity: 2
Wood Glue

This particular top is for a standard 55-gallon tank but I’ll try to avoid confusion by not mentioning particular measurements. Simply measure your own and go from there. I recommend leaving the trim pieces on the tank for use in securing the lid as mentioned in the instructions below.

Side Frame:
We’ll start with the side frame, the frame that goes around the sides of the tank.

1. Measure the length of your tank and add 1/16-inch. Cut two 1 x 3s (or 1 x 4s) this size. Example: If the length of the tank measures 48 inches, cut two 1 x 3s at 48 1/16 inches long.
2. Measure the width of your tank and add 1/16-inch, PLUS, two times the thickness of your 1 x 3s (or 1 x 4s), which should be aprox. ¾”. Cut two 1 x 3s (or 1 x 4s) this size. Example: Tank width measures 11 inches. Add 1/16-inch = 11 1/16 inches. Thickness of 1 x 3 is ¾-inch. ¾-inch x 2 = 1 ½ inches. Total length of 1 x 3 would be 12 9/16 inches.
3. Glue & nail the side frame together, keeping the boards as straight and square as possible. Test-fit it before the glue sets up so you can flex the boards if needed in order for the frame to fit on the tank.

Top Frame:
Use the dimensions of the side frame you just made instead of the dimensions of the tank itself, this way the outer edges of the top section will be flush with the outer edges of the side section/frame.

1. Cut two 1 x 2s the full length of the side frame.
2. Cut three 1 x 2s the width of the side frame, MINUS 3 inches (two times the width of your 1 x 2s). This allows the width of the top section to sit within the two lengths of the top section, offsetting the joints of the side frame.
3. Determine the size of the screened area you need to rest your dome(s) on top of. For instance - for this particular top I used an 8-inch dome so I made the screened area approximately 9 inches long and the width of the 55-gallon tank, minus the widths of the 1 x 2s, fell close enough to the same size. If your cage is wider than 12 inches you might want to reduce the screened area by adding wider boards or more boards to the width of the screened area.
[IMG][/IMG]
4. Cut a 1/8 – 3/16-inch wide groove (typical thickness of a circular saw blade) ½ inch deep down the center of the thickness of the two 1 x 2 lengths. Due to the radius of the saw blade it was necessary for me to cut my groove from point “B” to just past point “A” to ensure that the plexiglass would seat properly within all four grooves.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG] Putty over-cuts as needed.
5. Cut another 1/8 – 3/16-inch wide groove, ½ inch deep, into two of the 1 x 2s that were cut for the width of the top section. You can cut this groove from one end to the other; both ends will not be exposed.
[IMG][/IMG]
6. Secure pieces 1 – 4 to the side frame with both wood glue & finish nails. Place the very last piece in position while securing the others in order to ensure a good fit, however, don’t secure it until after you install the plexiglass in the grooves. You’ll need the “T” brackets or “L” brackets to secure piece #4 to both of the length pieces 1 & 3. Secure from the underside of the tank top so it’s not visible.
[IMG][/IMG]
7.. Measure the distance between pieces 1 & 3 and then add ½ inch. This is the width you need your plexiglass to be. This allows for approximately ¼-inch play on both sides of the plexiglass and can be helpful if things aren’t exactly square.
8.Set the final, unsecured piece of the top section in place and determine the length of the plexiglass needed. Add 1/2 inch, just as in step 7.
9. If you’ve never cut plexiglass before I suggest letting the DIY store you purchase it from cut it for you. It’s worth every penny of it. If you want to tackle it yourself I’ve had better results from scoring it several times, using a straight edge and utility knife. Lay the scored line along a good straight edge and snap it. This can be tricky when working with long pieces. Having someone hold the main part of the plexiglass and another do the snapping helps.

* Be careful when scoring plexiglass. It’s easy to put too much weight on the utility knife and moving too fast, causing it to jump over the edge of the straight edge and slicing thru a finger or two. I laid the top of my index finger wide open the first time I tried it.
10. Install the ½ inch hardware cloth to the underside and then stretch & staple the window screen over it to reduce nose rub injuries on snakes and some lizards.
11. Drill small vent holes in one end of the plexiglass. When drilling plexiglass, it will melt or crack if you’re not careful. Drill the holes in small steps, applying just a little bit of pressure but not forcing the drill bit thru. Remove burrs from the holes with a utility knife.
12. If you want a secured lid mark point “E” as shown, in the center of the width and ½ inch below the bottom of the tank’s trim that goes around the top.
13. When drilling holes for taps the feed rate (drill pressure) and speed can greatly affect how loose or tight the threads in the wood will be. By the same token, not holding the drill straight, at a perpendicular angle, can also affect hole/thread size. It’s better to drill in steps instead of trying to drill the hole the final size in one shot. The hole will be larger, possibly too large for the bolt, if drilled in one step. I suggest reading up on “drilling and tapping wood” with a Google search before attempting this. Drill & tap your hole for the nylon bolt and repeat on the other end of your new top.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
morphcorn
there is not enough floor space for that snake to even be in that tank in the first place

Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
LBoz
James, is this YOUR project? If not, don't forget to site your source. The last thing Rich needs right now is copyright issues. I know you don't want to get the captain of this ship in trouble, right? You can and will if you don't stop stealing people's articles.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Jimmysan00
Lori you are 100% correct, and i have been meaning to site the source to this one, because I've been accused of plagiarism and i don't want that. Source: http://www.natures-signature.com/diy/index.html

Old 09-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
LBoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysan00 View Post
Lori you are 100% correct, and i have been meaning to site the source to this one, because I've been accused of plagiarism and i don't want that. Source: http://www.natures-signature.com/diy/index.html
I don't think anyone is blatantly accusing you, Jimmy. But if the owner/author of that project sees that someone posted it without citing the source and giving him credit, HE might think you're stealing it. Since Rich is the owner of the site, HE is the one that the author would go after if it came to that. Aside from that, it's just common courtesy and good 'net etiquette.

You're finding some good articles and projects, no question. Just never forget to let everyone know who they belong to.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Jimmysan00
Roger that! Hey Lori i do have a quick question for you. If i link a URL i don't have to put down the source right since it's a direct link to the article and the source will be on there?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
LBoz
I would *think* that would be fine, Jimmy. If I link something, I usually also give the home page and the name of the author if possible. The more info you give regarding the source, the better.

Now, I think I'm going to go see if I have the materials for that aquarium top! I have a ton of aquariums, but not many available tops. That looks like something I could handle.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysan00 View Post
If i link a URL i don't have to put down the source right since it's a direct link to the article and the source will be on there?
Keep in mind if all's you do is link a URL it is unlikely the DIY project will show up in a search...Which makes it essentially pointless. You at the very least should write up a short introduction describing what the DIY is if you don't want to take the time to post the actual DIY.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Domino
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphcorn View Post
there is not enough floor space for that snake to even be in that tank in the first place
Seriously whoever made this tank put in a corn that is way too big or made a tank that is way too small with no hides. If that were me I would be one seriously annoyed snake.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
TheFrogman
Nice wood working though, that poor guy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google