CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Polymer clay hatchling hides...

Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
RosieReal
Thoes are FANTASTIC. i'm going to have to try making my own, i absolutly refuse to pay petstore prices. Your an inspiration!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Shaz
Ahh wow I just came across these. Been looking around for inspiration for my new little baby

Think I shall try one of these, they look awesome!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
Allalaskan
Those look really good

Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Dustilyn
Brilliant. You definitely should sell them on ebay or at expos. Polymer seems a bit costly, at least at Hobby Lobby. Do you think regular air drying clay would work as well?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Dreamsnake
I like your cute little model. These are some good ideas. My mother in law was looking for a project we could both do together; she likes clay and I can use some hides for the snakes to come.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Kaleidescope_Eyes
Check out amazon my friends; 1 pound for $14.99! Not bad when you consider making a couple smaller hides at least!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
toxiclight
There's always Etsy to sell on as well

Those are adorable

Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
Jadie.Glitch
I just bought some Sculpey and a few other related items from Amazon. I can't wait to get started on this!

With the proper non-toxic varnish, could you create water dishes from Sculpey as well? I'm not sure how the fired clay itself would react to moisture, so I imagine it would need a varnish of some sort, right? What non-toxic varnish would you recommend?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 AM   #19
Dustilyn
I made some using regular air dry clay. I painted them with non-toxic tempera paints then with DecoArt Triple Thick gloss/glaze which is also non-toxic. I'll only use mine for dry hides even with the paint and glaze because it is unfired clay. The sculpey is baked and is made of a different substance so it could be waterproof, but I'm not sure.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #20
OldDetroit
I don't know about all polymer clay, but Sculpey III works well for water bowls. I didn't use a sealant on it. I made some small bowls for hatchlings and they worked perfectly. I even dropped them a few times and they didn't break. I still have them, but most of my snakes are too big for them to be of use.

You do need to be very careful about not leaving any cracks in it. It only becomes pain if the sculpey is a little drier than normal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google