CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My future display

Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #21
CaptBogart
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynefyre View Post
Now I'm getting really confused. O.o Lol.

I first started with the idea of using OSB board then I was told melamine is better. Now melamine is bad? I don't know what to use anymore.. except someone told me about using stuff called expanded pvc or something? He said it would create a lighter, better quality product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepunk View Post
Brian Barczyk (BHB Reptiles/snakebytes.tv) uses melamine racks and has over 30,000 snakes. I would think that is fine.

Personally, I just use osb, cheaper and not nearly as heavy.
Melamine board is fine, if your tub/shower surround isn't tile, it's melamine. The melamine that isn't considered safe is the epoxy like stuff that's painted on. It's a liquid that gives off fumes, but processed sheets are ok.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
petpro553
Quote:
Brian Barczyk (BHB Reptiles/snakebytes.tv) uses melamine racks and has over 30,000 snakes. I would think that is fine.

Ive not had any problems with melamine, but my guys are in tubs and not directly on the stuff.
You are correct in the fact that it is HEAVY!!! My racks are on castor wheels simply because they weigh alot.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #23
raynefyre
Quote:
My concern with OSB is how to seal it so the wood doesn't absorb stains and bacteria. And at the same time, having the sealany safe for my snakes.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #24
snakepunk
I don't seal my racks

Is it the best way–no.
Is it relatively safe–yes.

Now if I were to build the entire cage out of osb, that would be a different story. But the snake are in plastic boxes, and they usually don't poop on the ceiling above.

Like I said, I would prefer using melamine, but it's very heavy and more expensive. Maybe someday I will use it, but for now my 250 keepers don't seem to mind.

Some of my racks are even built using particle board. I wouldn't recommend using it though. Particle board (which is what is under the coated melamine) is heavy and tends to warp, preventing the boxes from easily sliding out after a couple of years of use.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #25
RobbiesCornField
To the OP: Oooh! I need full dimensions on that, and how many sheets of what I'm going to need (for the most recent modification). I LOVE how that looks, and that looks like it would be a perfect boa rack!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #26
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda007 View Post
I thought that melamine was deemed unsuitable for use near pets, because it was toxic and could cause renal failure. That, and isn't it unsuitable for use near heat sources for long periods of time, because it causes the melamine to decompose? Hm...
Melamine is unsuitable only if they're eating it. Melamine was the culprit of the kidney-damaging crystals in the 2007 pet food recall. However, that was a form that was powdered and mixed into the food instead of a protein source so that corrupt peoples could save money. Melamine like on my bookcase and in my vivs is not going to be harmful to my pets.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #27
Asbit
raynefyre...the only thing I would consider changing in your last modification is the bottom door opening down. You will then have to reach in past the entire door to get at things, causing you to possibly have to lean on it to reach stuff in the middle.

I love your plan but the change I would make is have the bottom door open up and on a slider then it will recess into the bottom drawer along the top and out of the way. You can put a stopper on the slider or make it shorter than the entire depth of the drawer so that the door recesses with a small portion sticking out and that way it will not catch on any wiring running along the back of the cabinet.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #28
Asbit
Sorry for the double post...I have also read where many DIY's were simply sealed on the wood with a good sealer and then each seam was caulked. Thus making them water proof and easily cleanable to prevent bacteria growth. As well for the warm end some people have placed a UTH directly on the wood and then put a piece of Plexiglass over it and sealed it all around its edges with silicone.

To avoid large holes in the back of the sections they then cut the end of the UTH cord off and fed it and a thermostat prob through a small (then siliconed hole) and put a new plug end on the UTH.

Just a few other ideas...I know that is how my custom make snake housing is going to be done.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #29
Jay@PJCReptiles
Hi Rayne, I like both of these ideas as they seem very functional. You have some great display areas as well as having room to keep babies in smaller bins and space to store other necessities.

You can tell that you put a lot of thought and time into your idea. I have a couple of suggestions you might want to use. First, if you are planning on using some kind of substrate in the display vivs you might want to install some kind of "bib" or "lip" at the bottom fronts of all of them to ensure the substrate will stay in the viv and not fall onto your floor.
Second, you might want to use some sort of PVC board such as Versatex. This product is ammune to water and is very easy to use. Melamine is good but this is a little better product as it will last longer and have no issues with humidity/water whatsoever. It is made of recycled plastic and is non-porous. Again, these are just suggestions. I really like your design and would be more then happy to have one or two sitting in my living room displaying some of my own "personal choice" animals. One other question I have, what program did you use to design your idea? Once again, great job.

Jay

Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #30
Buzzard
I like the plexiglass idea as a bottom and you could make a small lip for the front out of it. 5'9 is starting to get tall. Watch how high up you have a display cage. You might wanna invest in a good Wet/dry vac and step stool. But I love the layout......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google