CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding Blizzard?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
blizzardlady
Question Breeding Blizzard?

So I have healthy male corn snake with very little to no yellow. I want to breed him to a female blizzard with good genetics, but I cannot find a female blizzard ANYWHERE. .

Does anybody know where I could find an adult female Blizzard cornsnake? I have talked to Don from South Mountain Reptiles and he says they are increasingly hard to come by.

If not bred to a Blizzard, are there other options I could breed to make other cool morphs?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
67temp
If your goal is to make blizzards you can use an amel het for charcoal, charcoal het for amel, or a normal that is het for amel and charcoal. Once you make one you can hold it back and use that blizzard for future breedings.

Even something else like a pewter (charcoal & diffused) het for amel put with your male could produce blizzards.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
blizzardlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
If your goal is to make blizzards you can use an amel het for charcoal, charcoal het for amel, or a normal that is het for amel and charcoal. Once you make one you can hold it back and use that blizzard for future breedings.

Even something else like a pewter (charcoal & diffused) het for amel put with your male could produce blizzards.
Thank you.

By using this method would I run the risk of yellowing? I am going for as much whiteout as possible.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
blizzardlady
So I found a female Pewter Tessera that is het for Amel. Are tessera blizzard babies worth more to sell?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
67temp
I'm not sure about the amount of yellowing. It would probably depend on the amount of yellow the parents had.

Generally yes the more genes one has the more expensive they are. Unless it's a new or rare morph.

Note: there is also a combo called whiteout which are amel, charcoal, and diffused.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
blizzardlady
So I went ahead and purchased the Pewter tessera het Amel. The calculator (let me know if this is incorrect) says I will get:

25% Charcoal (het diffused/het amel)
25% Blizzard (het diffused)
25%Tessera charcoal (het diffused/het amel)
25%Tessera Blizzard (het diffused)

Old 12-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
67temp
That's sounds about right for the babies from that pairing. The best part is the babies will be easily distinguishable for what they are. You won't be guessing is this one a hypo or ultra or hypo ultra.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardlady View Post
So I went ahead and purchased the Pewter tessera het Amel. The calculator (let me know if this is incorrect) says I will get:

25% Charcoal (het diffused/het amel)
25% Blizzard (het diffused)
25%Tessera charcoal (het diffused/het amel)
25%Tessera Blizzard (het diffused)
Try to think of it more as "it is possible to get." Every egg has the chance of being one of the four possible outcomes. So it is possible that in an 8 egg clutch you get 2 of each morph combo OR you get all of 1 OR the clutch is split between 2 morphs, etc.. Regardless I think those clutches are fun to watch hatch based on that very variability.

Terri

Old 12-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
Try to think of it more as "it is possible to get." Every egg has the chance of being one of the four possible outcomes. So it is possible that in an 8 egg clutch you get 2 of each morph combo OR you get all of 1 OR the clutch is split between 2 morphs, etc.. Regardless I think those clutches are fun to watch hatch based on that very variability.

Terri
Absolutely correct, I was going to mention the same thing. The other thing to consider is that young females may have smaller clutches, with some slugs. The odds get better with older well developed females that lay a large clutch or even double clutch.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
blizzardlady
Ah alright. Makes sense. Thank you all for the helpful info!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google