CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

ESCAPEE or HIDE LOG HORRORS?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
crackerhead
Deja Vu or what? No more fancy hide. Long live TP tubes!

Sooooo happy to hear you found her. God I love the feeling you get when you find a lost snake alive and well.

Terri

Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #22
vetusvates
So glad you found her, Tina.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #23
jackkas13
I rescued a garter snake right before the first snow fell of the winter and my boyfriend and I got a zilla tank and that same log hide. The garter was probably barely a month old, he was tiny! One morning I went over to check him out and I couldn't find him we took apart the whole viv looking for him and came to the conclusion that he must have gotten out. A day later my father was standing in the kitchen and decided to check out the viv and low and behold right in that same spot Cassandra got stuck in our little guys head popped out of. He was small enough to go in and out of it so it was his new hiding spot! It amazing how they will find even the smallest cracks. I'm glad you were able to find Cassandra!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #24
TheJadeReptile
I'm glad you found her. And thanks for warning us. The Zilla tanks are awesome. I love mine.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #25
OkeeteeMom
Thank you all for your well wishes and shared stories. I'm hoping that between us all, many will be forewarned and spared the anguish.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #26
MysticExotics
I'm glad she was found safe & sound!!

Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #27
smallet
No doubt! Congrats at finding the little hide seek winner of the year. Even more amazing the little thing never drowned....scary! Guess I'll stick to TP tubes and over turned dishes.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #28
crotalis40741
I am so glad you found her, I saw a thing about duct tape on your post, please be careful years ago i used some to keep a lid shut and the snake some how got into the tape and was stuck badly, snake skin and duct tape do not mix well. I know it is not a good thing but the only thing i could find to get it off was wd40, take care all and have a good one.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:09 AM   #29
OkeeteeMom
Crotalis, I never had to use the tape once I found it was the hide that was the problem and not the Zilla. But thanks so much for your excellent advice!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #30
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
I am so glad you found her, I saw a thing about duct tape on your post, please be careful years ago i used some to keep a lid shut and the snake some how got into the tape and was stuck badly, snake skin and duct tape do not mix well. I know it is not a good thing but the only thing i could find to get it off was wd40, take care all and have a good one.
I have successfully used hatchling duct tape traps for years. The trick is to touch the sticky side of the tape to your shirt before setting the trap and then use Spray VEGETABLE oil to remove the stuck animal. I have, to date, never lost an animal that was captured in this manner. It is extremely effective.
I used to lose hatchlings due to deli cup lids not being totally snapped shut during overnight feeding. Totally my fault but in all fairness I get loopy after feeding five hundred of the little buggers. I was trying so hard not to catch a tail that I would not snap the lid down tight on some. The duct tape traps were an amazing find. I do things differently now so I rarely ever need to set traps but I still occasionally use them.
When I worked at the pet store we caught a leopard gecko in just such a trap. The little squirt chopped on me the whole time I worked on removing him from the trap but he suffered no ill effects. I was worried he would lose his tail or those fragile little toes during the process but he didn't. He was rattling that tail and stalking crickets within an hour of his release. I on the other hand, was looking for clean bandaids

Terri

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape, escaped, escapee