CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Possible Seizure?

Old 02-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Toast
Possible Seizure?

Hello,

Sadly, my corn snake just passed away, and I am trying to work out what could have happened to her.

Upon entering my room, she was pressed up against the glass of her tank, going from top to bottom, and then towards her log cave. Once her head was in the cave, she started to twist her whole body slowly, and about 5 minutes later, she was completely on her back.

She stayed still for a few minutes, still rolled over, but then she started to go round the tank on her back. She would also occasionally let out a hiss whilst moving around. Ultimately however, she eventually stopped moving, no response to touch anywhere on her body.

In one way I'm glad I got to see it, as appose to me just coming home and seeing her dead, asking myself "what happened", at least now I can try and find out by describing what I saw.

The only thing I can think of is a seizure, but I'm no expert. If anyone has any idea what this could've been, I would greatly appreciate any input you give.

Hopefully this is worded okay, it's not the nicest of things to have to type up. I'll try to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.

Thank you.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Patmart
I’m so sorry for your loss
I can’t help you with your question
But I send you a big hug
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
Twolunger
You didn't mention the age of your corn, but I'm assuming it was adult. There are possibilities, such as tumors, bloodclots, cancer. Without a necropsy by a veterinarian you will not definitely know why she died. I had a snake die just as you described, she ate well, was active, and shed well, but one day while I watched she started twisting around and flipped over backwards, hissed, and she died within minutes. I performed a necropsy looking for anything obvious. I found nothing in her body, but she had what appeared to be a burst blood vessel in the brain. There was a clot next to the blood vessel. There is nothing you could have done for your corn, and as with mine, it happened so fast I feared for the safety of my other snakes. I've not seen one do that since then.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Toast
Whoops, yes she was coming up to 9 years old.

And as you said, it all happens so quickly, sorry to hear you lost a snake the same way.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Old 03-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Twolunger
I'm also sorry that you lost yours. The loss is greater when we only have one or two corns. I have several at any given time, with my collection often growing to 75-80 after hatches, but I am still concerned when one dies unexpectedly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google