CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Using a Birdhouse as a hide. Safe?

Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
CornSnakeFrance
Using a Birdhouse as a hide. Safe?

Hey everyone,
I recently bought a wooden birdhouse from the pet store.
I put it in the oven to sterilize it but now it smells funny, i'm worried it might be because of the type of wood it is made of (I know nothing about wood!) or because of the products that have been used.
I read about Cedar and Pine being dangerous, does anyone know if it's made of one of them?
Thanks guys!

Old 11-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
daddio207
I'm no wood expert but I do know that is plywood which is composed of veneer and resins.
Baking it could be toxic because of the resins Cheaper plywood is made with softwoods like cedar, pine and a dozen other woods.
I wouldn't use any item that can absorb urites and feces as a hide with a bottom. Sometimes they're overlooked during cleanings and the feces/urites build up causing bacterial infections.
You could seal it with polyurethane. Be careful of fumes from the sealants of course.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
JTGoff69
Would terra cotta pots absorb urine & feces as well??

Old 11-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGoff69 View Post
Would terra cotta pots absorb urine & feces as well??
I'm no terracotta expert either lol but it is porous if not glazed. If you are using the pots upside down it shouldn't be an issue. If your snakes defecates on the outside then you will see it and if on the inside then the substrate will absorb it.
It is when any hide is used that has a bottom that I recommend to avoid. Hides with bottoms could hold the urites and fecal matter out of site of the keeper. Even just a week or two of contact with a snake could cause a health issue. I've seen it happen. A couple of years ago my daughter bought a decorative hide that had a bottom. She didn't think much of it that the snake, a ball python, would hide in it weeks at a time. That's what they do. The ball python, a $600 morph at the time, laid in its own urites for a week without their knowledge. It developed a major bacterial infection that cost 100's of dollars to cure.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
JTGoff69
Thanks daddio!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
hides, wood