CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Kids and snakes?

Old 11-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
SnakeDipperSnipper
Kids and snakes?

So my friends love Snipper, and one time when one went to leave her little sister came to see him. All fine and good.

Well the sister went and told a lot of people at her kindergarten class that she knows someone with a snake, and my friend asked me if I would be interested bringing my snake as a 'show and tell' (she says teacher has given permission, we're working out the kinks as it would be in a month or two)

I'm just wondering is there anything I need to worry about? I dont plan on letting the kids touch him because of how young they are and I dont want anything bad to happen to anyone. Snipper is used to being around large groups of people as he fails to show signs of stress when with me and friends, it wouldnt be the full day there either because i wouldn't want to overload him.

I see this as a chance to help educate some people, I was wondering if you had thoughts/advice?

Old 11-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
DollysMom
My concern is transport in the cold weather. Most people I know use snake bags cushioned by blankets in large insulated drink coolers to transport their snakes in cold weather.

When I do transport a snake in a ventilated sweater box or critterkeeper, I fill the interior loosely with crumpled paper towels to cushion the bumps. When I took Cleo to the vet recently in moderate weather (50s) I put her in a critter keeper with the paper towels in an insulated cloth grocery bag with a zip cover. When I checked with my temp gun the interior stayed 70 to 75. Or course she was only outside for a short walk from car to building and back again.

If you do transport in something air tight like a large cooler, open every hour for air. A small container needs a few little air holes. I just left my insutated bag unzipped an inch for our 1/2 drive.

Of course this is in an heated enclosed car. The insulation keeps there from being sudden temp changes. It helps if you have a thermometer in your car. I try to keep temps in the car between 70 and 80 and no hotter than 80.

Other than that you might keep a critter keeper handy so if you need to put Snipper down, you can still display him safely to the children. if you are only going to be gone a few hours you generally don't need to worry about water.

I'm not the snake transport or display expert here so I hope others jump in with their tips. So far I have only taken one snake for display and that was for adults, though at a recent show I displayed someone else's corn snake to all ages.

I have had experience with young kids in group settings as a picture lady and a story lady. Be sure to let the kids ask questions and be prepared for the "questions" to be statements or stories about their own expeiences. The more you interact with them rather than just telling them about Snipper the better. Also, there are free coloring pages and I know there are corn snake ones available. Printing out and bringing enough for the class is a great thing.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
WillowBug
I do not think it is the best idea to bring a snake into a kindergarten class

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google