CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Is my snake crossbred with a piggy?

Old 04-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
jkite
Is my snake crossbred with a piggy?

My snake is 70 g and will happily eat 1-2 hoppers every 3 days. This is way more than the feeding chart says, but he/she happily eats them and has normal cast, and is actively hunting for more food when we handle hims/her after day 2. Our corn has had 3 perfect sheds, at about 1 every 3-4 weeks. WE have a feeding bin, and if we put it on the table the snake will actively head there after day 3 looking for mice. Is this normal or should i restrict the snakes intake? Also this snake has grown 3 x in size + in 3 months. The corn snake started on pinkies of course but just keeps going up and up fast.

Any ideas? Or just keep doing whats keeping the snake happy and apparently very healthy?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
Nanci
It sounds like your snake is ready for small weanlings, in the 13-15 gram range. I would drop back to no more often than a 5 day feeding period, and maybe even 7 day. Just because your snake will eat every three days doesn't mean he should. Probably most of them would. A fat snake is not a healthy snake. It's good for him to be out and hunting for a few days before his meal. If you're feeding him every three days, how do you ever get to handle him? Once he gets up to the larger weanlings, I'd for sure drop him back to 7 days (Snake is 150-170 grams, eating 18-20 gram weanlings). Sounds like he's doing very well for you!

Old 04-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Dragonling
You just described 95% of corn snakes. Being opportunistic feeders, they will happily eat themselves to obesity and even to death.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google