• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thor - albino Cape House Snake

You can hold him for a short while any day he's not digesting or in shed. I also do not handle on feeding day. How long a handling session is kind of subjective, but you can usually tell if they start to get too agitated. The younger generally the shorter the session.

Best wishes!

Thank you :) Yeah I only held him at most 5 minutes. I returned him once he had settled down, kind of like ok now that you're calm, that's when you get to go back. Plus I was a dummy the night before and dropped a flash drive at the gas station in a bad part of town and had to meet the very nice lady who found it and tracked me down.

Plus it gave me a chance to get a really good look at him. Once he's more at ease and I don't have to worry about him flying off I'll get some in hand photos.

Since he was a lot less jumpy yesterday I was able to get some in hand pictures that show his colors better. And got a weight on him: 18 grams! He did really well. He's being a lot calmer than I was expecting him to be. He did have a few I'm going to freeze and hope she goes away moments but a lot less jumpy/popping in my hand.

Aaaaand when I was at the store getting his food I was so tempted by a cute little paradox albino sand boa.

Attachments

• thorhold1.jpg
    thorhold1.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 27
  • thorhold2.jpg
    thorhold2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 29
Thank you! He's an adorable little guy. I'm kind of going why aren't you going crazy? :poke: I was expecting you to go crazy ahaha. I guess it's better he's being easy on me.

OOOoooh and I forgot to share my little art project. His records came to me on a 3x5 index card, so I figured I'd keep doing the same, since I'm used to that. I found a little booklet of index cards but no fun covers (the cover was just what it was plus the bar code). So I had the brillant idea to paint over it. I'll get around to adding his name too.

Attachments

• records.jpg
    records.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 27
Thank you �� I'm not so good with lettering so I've put off doing his name. Not to mention I keep wondering if his name should be Thor (I'm a Chris Hemsworth fan and Kevin didn't seem like a strong enough name for him).

Thor is an awesome name. If I can name my African house snake a strong Scots name like Clyde why can't you name yours a strong Viking name like Thor? Besides you've got a "blonde", lol.

Haha I do have a blonde so to speak. I do think it works for my handsome little guy. Plus Kevin is kind of silly and he's not silly.
I had to return to the pet store to get his food cause I was a dummy and got the wrong size. As I was there I was eyeing that sand boa (guy that was working there thought I came back for him) I heard a woman talk about a couple of snakes she found in her backyard. She couldn't catch both but she wasn't sure what they were. She brought one in and as I'm edging over I hear the clerk to oh yeah these were released by someone. She had with her a decent sized sand boa about to shed but otherwise healthy looking. A sign maybe haha

It may be a sign, indeed!

Released or escaped. Unless it is blatanty obvious, like no snake would leave the house here in the winter, I don't necessarily assume the snake was dumped. At least they have a chance in Sacramento this time of year.

In any case there are so many people willing to formally (as in herp society or animal rescue) or informally rescue and take in there is no excuse to purposely release a captive snake. They are not "throw away". Makes me beyond angry.

Yeah true. It's just I work with a horse rescue and I've seen so many horses come in in poor condition simply because they weren't getting fed, my horse included, I tend to think the worst of people. But the woman who caught it sounded like she was willing to keep it so there's always that plus and the winters aren't bad so if she doesn't catch the other it might have a chance.

But man I can't stop thinking about that little baby haha even tho I know it's not the best idea. My first snake was a sand boa so I've got a soft spot for them

Sand boas are adorable.

I have limited space so that keeps me in check, but if I didn't I could easily overextend. Truth be told, when I see snakes I want one of each and then reality sets in. Three is a nice number for me for now and I can go one more if some special plans I've been working on for a year come to fruition. I won't know for certain for another month or so. All I can say is there are eggs in a incubator somewhere in greater Chicagoland. (That was a tease and in the meantime my lips have to stay sealed lest I jinx it.)

Sorry to go so far off topic, but as July approaches I think of those eggs more and more.

Three is my limit too. And I only have Thor and my gecko. So it wouldn't totally be out of my limit since sand boas don't get big. I'm sure someone will buy him and save me from myself haha.

Ooooih eggs! That sounds exciting :D

I hear you on numbers. If I recall, a sand boa only needs a 10 gallon tank ;).

Definitely eggciting :D

Yeah about a ten would work for them, so it's doable. This little guy was nice too. Held him with little fuss.

Definitely :D I probably never should have held him haha. That's what did me in. I had to go back today cause Friday I got the wrong sized feeders for Thor (my fault). I made a beeline for the tank he was in to see if he was still there but it's a sand boa so no knowing. Guy that helped last time comes up to me and says "Back for the sand boa?" So we'll see. If he's still there when I get some bills paid he might just come home with me.

So serious about his food haha. I was slightly worried that the handling might turn him off feeding tonight even tho I left him alone yesterday and today. I went to pop his mouse in his home and he didn't come out right away like normal. So I drop near his hide he is in and he comes out to sort of check it out but starts going in the wrong direction. Fine I think I'll move it around. Lowering my tongs I just hope I don't startle him back into his hide. He takes one look at the tongs and zeroes in on it. Grab the mouse and he's latched onto it the minute I dangle the mouse, then is dragging his mouse sideways into his hide before I can react haha. Someone was hungry.

Got back from vacation a handful of days ago. Thor ate right before I left and then went into blue some time while I was gone. Found him like that when I got home so he got to wait for food. Poor hungry guy had to go without food for two weeks. The horror haha. Anyway he shed on the first so I pulled him out (the two weeks of not handling he was jumpy), got a weight, and some pictures. He's about 20 grams (don't know how accurate my scale is). And oh so cute :) I mean, look at that face <3

Attachments

• thor1a.jpg
    thor1a.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 31
  • thor2.jpg
    thor2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 31
  • thor3.jpg
    thor3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 31
  • thor4.jpg
    thor4.jpg