• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OK Woods for DIY decor?

3stanbk

I work in a wood shop, and to save money I built my snake's furniture out of some white oak scraps, after researching to ensure that it would be okay to use. I am going to move him into a larger tank relatively soon and intend to build larger stuff. I want to branch out a little in regards to wood species, but I don't wanna risk his health to test them out. Anyone have any experience using Maple, Oak, Mahogany, Poplar, Jatoba, Ipe, Yellowheart, Purpleheart, Cherry, or Alder?

They live in the wild. As long as its a species of wood that's from an area where cornsnakes are found, you should be good to go.

I may alienate myself for this in the eyes of some, but when my snake went into his 55 gallon a few weeks ago, he got a hide made from hickory bark, and oak, hickory, and maple (?) branches. I had them in the basement on top of the hot water heater for a couple days to get the bugs out and just made sure they were clean pieces of wood with no creepy crawlies or mold or anything like that. Didn't boil, bleach, acid-wash, send to NASA, order a biopsy... Did the same thing with Mountain Horned Dragons for years and would occasionally get rid of old wood and bring in new stuff if anything got a little too dirty. Never had any issues and they seemed to prefer the real wood over any plastic or vine.

-Travis

Makes sense to me. The wood I use has been sitting for anywhere from 6 months to 6 years so it's all just about sterile. Thanks

Back