CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Natural Moss Growth in Viv...

Old 03-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
2ndGenSnakeDude
Natural Moss Growth in Viv...

Was browsing the net and came across this and thought to myself that is a great idea to get moss to grow on your hides and such to make it seem much more naturalistic. Just make sure you use a sterile moss, so you aren't introducing unwanted biology to your viv.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Nythain
That's awesome. Curious to hear if anyone has played around with this idea already or hear any future stories. I'd consider something like that in a naturalistic/living viv (which I intend on setting up for the third snake I plan on getting).

Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Kat_Dog
If you try that, don't put buttermilk in it. It's a myth that it helps it grow faster and 9 times out of 10 all your get is a chunky, rotten mess.

I saw that picture some time last year and wanted to try it on the fence in my backyard, sadly my moss froze during the winter. You wouldn't think it would be that cold in so cal ._.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Stephan Grundy
Where does one get live, but sterile, moss?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
2ndGenSnakeDude
I have seen it offered by alot of reptile suppliers online, if it's alive it probably can't be gauranteed 100% sterile, but it's gotta alot better than something you just pull from a tree, at least it comes from a controlled environment

Old 04-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
2ndGenSnakeDude
but does the moss need to be alive? I'm pretty sure it's the spores inside the moss that grows on your aparatus not the old blended up moss itself regrowing

Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
buckmaster299
This is a neat idea. Anyone try this before? I agree with the person that started post, I think it would be neat for the wood hides and such...

Old 04-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Chip
I think the biggest issue you will find is growing moss in a low humidity viv like a corn snake will need.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Chip
A pretty interesting list of moss and myths surrounding it: http://www.mossandstonegardens.com/b...ng-moss-myths/

Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Nythain
Given the humidity requirements, this is something I hoped to utilize in my future ATB viv. In fact, I'm hoping a good moss coating on the sides/back of the viv will not only provide a very natural look but help with the necessary humidity for the ATB.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google