CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

OK Woods for DIY decor?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
3stanbk
OK Woods for DIY decor?

I work in a wood shop, and to save money I built my snake's furniture out of some white oak scraps, after researching to ensure that it would be okay to use. I am going to move him into a larger tank relatively soon and intend to build larger stuff. I want to branch out a little in regards to wood species, but I don't wanna risk his health to test them out. Anyone have any experience using Maple, Oak, Mahogany, Poplar, Jatoba, Ipe, Yellowheart, Purpleheart, Cherry, or Alder?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
TimeBomb
They live in the wild. As long as its a species of wood that's from an area where cornsnakes are found, you should be good to go.

I may alienate myself for this in the eyes of some, but when my snake went into his 55 gallon a few weeks ago, he got a hide made from hickory bark, and oak, hickory, and maple (?) branches. I had them in the basement on top of the hot water heater for a couple days to get the bugs out and just made sure they were clean pieces of wood with no creepy crawlies or mold or anything like that. Didn't boil, bleach, acid-wash, send to NASA, order a biopsy... Did the same thing with Mountain Horned Dragons for years and would occasionally get rid of old wood and bring in new stuff if anything got a little too dirty. Never had any issues and they seemed to prefer the real wood over any plastic or vine.

-Travis

Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
3stanbk
Makes sense to me. The wood I use has been sitting for anywhere from 6 months to 6 years so it's all just about sterile. Thanks

Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
rockinghorsedemon
Ive heard pine is the only wppd that bugs th

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google