CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Any archery buffs on here?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Tavia
Any archery buffs on here?

As the title says. If so, do you have any advice for a complete newbie looking to get started? I've always had an interest in archery and have finally decided that I'd like to get into it soon. I'm not interested in hunting, more for target or competition shooting.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
ravendance
My boyfriend does archery with the SCA, (medieval re-enactment). I'm sure he'd be able to answer any questions you'd have. Do you know if you want to shoot recurve or compound? (Recurve doesn't have the wheels, compound does). He shoots with a recurve.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
Tavia
See, I don't even know enough about the differences to decide on that. I'm thinking though that I'd probably want to go with the recurve. I'd be happy if he could suggest a good book, website, etc to learn more about it.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
bryanb
I also do archery with the SCA and I would suggest a recurve. Without knowing you I can't say what draw or length and all that good stuff but to just look at supplies and stuff 3riversarchery.com is a good place to start. It is a cool hobby you can get really into or just do it on the weekends but once in practice as in anything will take time and be worth it.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
nancyg
(raises hand) another SCA member, I have done a little archery, but not for a few years - And I have more bows (from various sources) than sets of arrows to shoot them.

@tavia, Byanb's suggestion of 3rivers archery is good... you might also look for an archery forum (There's forums for everything out there - even snakes! )
And ask for advice there, too.
Depending on your finances, there are a lot of options for bows..
And if you have any warm blooded kids (human) that are interested in learning with you, You might try watching some of the Backyard Bowyer's videos on youtube - functional bows out of PVC that are cheap to make - and fun for kids to personalize, (and they'll take some rough handling) He also has books on Amazon. https://www.youtube.com/user/BackyardBowyer

Nancy

Oooo a SCASnake group? a Candy Cane Tessera would be the Midrealm snake!!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:27 AM   #6
ravendance
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg View Post

Nancy

Oooo a SCASnake group? a Candy Cane Tessera would be the Midrealm snake!!
Sounds like a plan to me!!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
Phruit Dish
My husband shoots both compound and recurve competitively. He also coaches, offers certification courses, and is fairly involved in the archery world. I would be happy to put you in touch with him if you'd like. He loves to share his passion for archery with others of all ages and skill levels, and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google