CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Help! Young Corn Snake Won't Stop Regurgitating Food

Old 10-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Cynic_013
Help! Young Corn Snake Won't Stop Regurgitating Food

I bought this little snake from a pet store September the 13th of this year. For now I have him (assumed he, don't actually know) in a ten gallon because he is pretty small. Substrate is coconut fiber, he has two hides and a small heating pad on the outside of the tank, taped to the side so he can lay against the warmth if he wants. His water bowl is big enough for him to soak in but I've yet to see him use it (I change the water every three days). I also have some sphagnum moss in there just cause. He seems to enjoy playing in it. There are some soft fake plants in there as well and he is often in those. Cooler temp in the tank is around 73 Fahrenheit. I don't handle him and he is fed once a week, every Saturday. I don't feed him on the substrate. One of his hides has a big enough surface area for him to eat on top of it, so that's where I feed him. The store I got him from said that they had been feeding him crickets, and he has difficulty understanding how to get a pinky in his mouth. He shows interest though and each week he gets a little better at getting a pinky down. He has regurgitated two pinkies since I've had him though, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I feel really bad and it's starting to worry me because he was already a bit skinny when I got him. I can post pictures of his enclosure if needed, or him. I appreciate any feedback 🖤

Old 10-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
Shiari
There are threads here on regurge protocol, which you will want to follow as feeding a full meal shortly after a regurge is dangerous and likely to cause another regurge. Pictures of him and your set up would be helpful.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
DeuceRon
How is everything going with your little one? I just saw this post was was wondering. Personally I think crickets aren’t a good source of food and may have messed with his little developing digestive system.
Be patient and wait as long as two weeks after a regurgitation before trying again. And go easy if he doesn’t take it don’t try to force him
Also try some snake aspen with the coco fiber. They like to tunnel and aspen keeps its shape
Good luck!!

Old 10-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Cynic_013
He died on the seventh, I was so confused and sad when I found out. He had seemed fine the day before and I was actually going to make him a vet appointment soon because I'm a big worrier. But my roommate found him dead when she got home from college on the seventh so uhm he declined faster than I took action sadly.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Corning
That wasn’t your fault. He was likely suffering from severe malnutrition before you got him. Next time. If you choose to try again find one that is already tolerating frozen thawed mice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
DeuceRon
So sorry to hear that. I agree that it wasn't your fault and if anything, you gave him a really nice place to live and did your best. I recently bought a tarantula from a pet store that was in pretty bad shape. She too hasn't eaten, but at least she's comfortable in a tank made just for her and has zero stress now.
Hang in there man!

Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Don't beat yourself up. This happens sometimes with babies.
Sometimes they pass away after one regurge, sometimes they don't even regurge before they pass away.
I know it's heartbreaking, believe me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google