CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Unmotivated shedder? Is my snake getting lazy with age?

Old 02-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
hexagonwonders
Unmotivated shedder? Is my snake getting lazy with age?

Hi guys. I have a 9 year old snow corn snake (named Piano) and I've had him for about 2 and a half years. He used to shed perfectly with little help but as time has gone on, he's been really... lazy about it. He'll start and then never finish, and when I try to help, he gets very distressed. He seems to really dislike getting wet. He makes small wheezy sounds when he's upset (is that a universal noise of distress? they're like squeaky whistly sounds.) I've tried putting him in a container with a damp towel, putting wet moss in his cage, changing the substrate to a more humidity-trapping type of mulch, and he has a rough log to use. However none of this has helped him actually finish a shed on his own anymore.

Is he just too old to do it himself? Or am I not trying hard enough to get the conditions right for him to shed easily?

Thank you !!!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
Dragonling
That sounds troublesome. Squeaky whistle sounds are not typically normal outside of the occasional bit of shed trapped in a nasal passage during a shed. You might consult a vet to rule out respiratory illness. Lethargy could be a symptom.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
I agree. People with their zealous attempt to "Humidify" their snake many times end up making it sick instead. Too much moisture is just as bad as too little, especially if the temps are also too cool. I would visit a vet.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Nanci
I wouldn't consider 9 old, at all. I guess, besides a check-up with a reptile vet, next time he sheds I'd mist his viv lightly once a day, and cover the screen top with plastic wrap just laid on it, not sealed, to keep in moisture. Mostly spray the sides and any fake plants he has.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shedding