CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Why it's hard to produce diamond (lava charcoal) corns: a case of genetic linkage?

Old 09-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
DuxorW
Well, it would only take them one generation to make their own diamonds, if they bought the correct genotypes, so it would take massively less effort. Lavas het charcoal and charcoals het lava would be more affordable, as well as vc/VC het diamonds.

It does put some responsibility on the seller though, to make sure they are selling animals that can quickly produce more diamonds, if that's what the buyer thinks they are getting. A het diamond of the vC/Vc variety would not be useful for someone wanting to work with diamond, unlike the vc/VC variety.

Just for the info, vc/VC is called "coupling" or cis phase, because the mutant versions of the two genes are on the same chromosome. vC/Vc is called repulsion, or trans. So you can call them cis het diamonds or trans het diamonds to differentiate.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
Erza
True....I guess they would have to buy fi a diamond and Charcoal or Lava het for the other from that breeder?

And indeed keep a proper record.

Still from a genetics point of view this is certainly a step up from fi allelic I guess? I love the genetics part of this. Over the years you see more and more knowledge on older but never realy defined genes (those that were always there but never described as such) such as Masque, Red Coat Yellow jacket red factor(Thread of Joe Pierce is a nice read). After all I dont think there is a proper "recipe" of what makes an old school bloodred. (well probably by now there is)

Old 09-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
cguarino30
Dux, I feel like you have an annual quota for blowing my mind.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cguarino30 View Post
Dux, I feel like you have an annual quota for blowing my mind.
I hope that's a good thing, and that my explanation is easy to follow. Well, easy considering the subject matter!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #15
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
I hope that's a good thing, and that my explanation is easy to follow. Well, easy considering the subject matter!
I think you should double your quota.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #16
Dragonling
So apparently AcmeCorns has a lava whiteout, but his growth apparently is a bit stunted. In 3 years he hasn't passed 100g. She's asking around to see if any other EU breeders have diamonds. I know one German couple did seem to have some diffused diamonds, but I haven't tried to contact them yet. Not sure if they speak English, and I don't really want to rely on Google translate just yet.

Otherwise are there any confirmed diamonds even in existence right now?

Old 12-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #17
DuxorW
I believe Carol had one at some point?

Old 12-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
DuxorW
I do not think the combo is lethal though because Steve had trouble even getting recombinants. He had het lava charcoals from lava x charcoal pairing but when he paired them he was getting charcoals not het lava and lavas not het charcoal. This is pretty much diagnostic of tight linkage, instead of synthetic lethality. He finally had a charcoal test het for lava (or was it a lava het charcoal?) this year. So he should be able to produce diamonds easily, soon.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #19
Crazy Colubrids
I will hopefully have some in 3 years. Maybe even Diffused Diamonds. I have a 1.1 pair of 2015 Blood het Lava, Charcoal and a 1.1 2015 ZigZag het Diffused, Lava, Charcoal. Here's hoping I can hit the target.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #20
KvanAalten
I believe https://www.facebook.com/crazycornsnl/ had a male Diamond Diffused, I think it passed away though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google