CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Paradox, is it always genetic?

Old 11-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Tavia
Paradox, is it always genetic?

Or can environmental factors during incubation cause the effect as well?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Shiari
It's more typically congenital issues; a particular line of cells that had a copying error that 'broke' a mutation explain red spots on aneries and snows very easily. How early in the development of the embryo/fetus would determine how large a patch. And chimeras definitely can and do happen, maybe more often that we think because if you have a clutch of all amels, how would you ever tell that one was a chimera?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
Tavia
Not a corn but I figured my question was generic enough to ask in this section. Just hatched a malformed albino House snake, that has a spray of black over about 40% of it's body. Based on the other issues it has, I know that there were issues with it during incubation. So was just wondering if the incubation was to blame for that as well.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
NiklasTyreso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Or can environmental factors during incubation cause the effect as well?
I once had a snow female that had a red spot and she got a snow son with a red spot to, but all he other snow siblings did not get any red spots.

It is likely that there is some kind of genetic factor involved that increase the likelihood of getting red spots/patches but it is not a predicable with simple recessive or dominant inheritance.

In humans there are families with increased likelihood of getting twins, but there are no simple genes that can explain the trait.

Environmental factors do probably have some influence to.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Not a corn but I figured my question was generic enough to ask in this section. Just hatched a malformed albino House snake, that has a spray of black over about 40% of it's body. Based on the other issues it has, I know that there were issues with it during incubation. So was just wondering if the incubation was to blame for that as well.
I don't think incubation errors can actually cause a gene to switch off?

Old 11-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Nanci
My question would be, is it ever genetic? Many have bought paradox snakes and attempted to reproduce them, but not successfully.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Tavia
I know almost nothing about the nuts and bolts of how Paradox works. But in Sand Boas there is apparently a recessive gene for Paradox and it is predictably reproduced but that's the only species I've ever heard of where it is not random.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #8
Nanci
I was thinking of that, but really, isn't it just a gene for black speckles? Once there's a predictability to it, then it's no longer a paradox!! That was an unfortunate gene name.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
Nanci
I didn't edit your post, sometimes it does that when I go to reply, sorry...

Old 11-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I didn't edit your post, sometimes it does that when I go to reply, sorry...
I do that all the time down in my own forum, go to hit quote and end up editing that post instead, LOL!

So, what is the technical difference between a paradox and a Chimera and how does one tell which is which?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google