CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Won't Eat

Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Colorguardchic19
Won't Eat

I've had my snake for 1.5 years. She has always eaten weekly, even when blue. On 1/29 I bumped her up to large mice since she was over 300 grams. I feed frozen. She ate no problem that night. After she was all settled and digested, we moved. I chose to wait to feed her. She went about 1.5 weeks before being offered again. She was at 311 grams when I tried to feed her. She wouldn't eat. So I waited and hit two weeks total since last feed and she still wouldn't eat. She was blue at this time and I thought maybe it was because of the shed even though she's never refused in she'd before. I just tried again since she shed. This is about 2.5 weeks since her last meal. She refused again. What has me concerned is her weight has dropped to 298 grams. Please help and advise. I've never had this type of problem in my 1.5 years of owning her. I'm really concerned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 02-15-2017, 05:56 AM   #2
Nanci
By large mice, what do you mean?

I feed 300 gram snakes either a medium mouse, about 22-24 grams, every couple weeks, because it's too hard to do a 10 day schedule with this many snakes, or a large weanling, 18-19 grams, weekly.

Feel your snakes belly and see if you feel egg bumps. She could be ovulating- it's that time of year.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Twolunger
I don't know if this fits your situation, but I'll tell you something that happened to me. I normally fed mice from one particular rodent breeder with no problem. Then I received an email from another rodent company with a 50% discount that I couldn't pass up. The first time I tried feeding the new mice, half the snakes wouldn't eat them. I tried again the next week with no luck. Luckily I still had some of the mice from the original company, which I thawed, and the snakes that wouldn't eat grabbed them without hesitation. If you have any of the smaller size mice left, try feeding her with them. I finally got all my snakes eating the new mice by thawing them with hot water, followed by rinsing twice with cool water.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Colorguardchic19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
By large mice, what do you mean?

I feed 300 gram snakes either a medium mouse, about 22-24 grams, every couple weeks, because it's too hard to do a 10 day schedule with this many snakes, or a large weanling, 18-19 grams, weekly.

Feel your snakes belly and see if you feel egg bumps. She could be ovulating- it's that time of year.
I feed frozen so they run in hoppers (small mice), medium which run about 13 grams each, and large mice are apt 19 grams. Those weights are based on the weight of the 4 pack divided by 4. I don't typically weigh each mouse individually.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Dragonling
Sounds like Arctic Mice or some other supplier you'll find at big box stores where the average shopper wouldn't know better (I swear, I'm not bitter... ). Their "large" is what most consider a weanling or small adult. That's a fine size. It's probably just the time of year.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
Colorguardchic19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Sounds like Arctic Mice or some other supplier you'll find at big box stores where the average shopper wouldn't know better (I swear, I'm not bitter... ). Their "large" is what most consider a weanling or small adult. That's a fine size. It's probably just the time of year.
That's all I have readily around me. I refuse to pay 50 dollars for shipping to get a larger quantity from a supplier.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Dragonling
I only paid $36 in shipping for about 500 mice.

(e) Wait, isn't Philly right next door? There's gotta be regular shows there, you can easily buy mice locally for way better prices than you're paying at PetSmart, etc.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Colorguardchic19
Where from? I don't really have a place to store 500 and I only have 1 snake so that would take a lonnnng time to go through. I would buy 25 or 50. I think that's why the shipping is higher. Most places I looked gave you cheaper shipping the larger quantity you bought as well as cheaper price per mouse.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
Dragonling
I ordered from Perfect Prey. Minimum shipping seems to be around $33-35 for your area, and they have small packs for people with only a few animals. You should check out the East Coast Reptile Super Expo in Oaks. The next one is March 18th. http://eastcoastreptilesuperexpos.com/ You'll probably find several mouse vendors. Just take along a small cooler or insulated lunch bag. And you'd probably have a lot of fun!

Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
Colorguardchic19
I'll check it out. I've been meaning to go for some time

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google