• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

sriped lavender!!!

Max123

Today i was browsing through some corn snake sites and i came across a striped lavender. Sounds pretty cool right?? BUT a hatchling cost £1000. Correct me if im wrong but isn't that a bit too much to pay for a corn even if it incredibly rare?? :shrugs:

Their site is: http://www.cornsnakemorphs.com/prices.html

supply and demand. it may be expensive to some but not expensive to others. it all depends on how bad you want it and how much your willing to pay. it is just a matter of opinion really. just think, if you bought one then eventually produced some clutches of your own you would def. make all your money back and then some!!

Stripe Lav & Butter aren't all that new of a morph. I recall them a season or so ago being $1500. Prices go down as more of the newer morphs become available for purchase.

Think of it this way...If you were the first and only one to produce a brand new color morph...Only had 2.4 available hatchlings...Kept 1.2 for yourself...What price tag would you want to put on the 1.2 new morph??? Whomever is the originator can put whatever type of pricetag he/she wants to on their morph.

If you could only have one snake and you wanted a striped lavender, what would it be worth to you?

The "quickest" other way you could get one right now is to buy an adult lavender and an adult stripe, wait until next year to cross them, then raise up a bunch of hatchlings to cross to each other after 2-3 years, and hope to actually get a striped lavender hatching out, and then hope it eats.

Divide the difference in that price, plus all the extra work, plus all the waiting. It seems pretty cheap to me. Maybe £1 per day. :)

if people are willing to pay that much, then No it's not too high.

Way too high for me though, although i dont think i'd want one if it was 200 dollars

Serp nailed it.

You are buying time and rarity. If you have the building blocks of a new morph such as an adult Lav and adult Striped, then realistically you are looking at three years before you can possibly produce a Striped Lavender, but it could be done in two if you feed very frequently. If you start out with hatchings, you are looking at a six year project, which is a very long time to stick with a project like this. If you are going to wait six years to acquire a new morph, why bother at all. In six years, they will have a reasonable market value.

If you only save 1.1 hets for Striped Lav, you may or may not produce a Striped Lav from them the first year or even the second, so you better save at least 2.4 in my opinion. Now you have to consider the time and money it takes to raise 6 snakes instead of 2, plus the actual time in years.

I have a few snakes that only exist in my colony, such as Ice Lavs (Lava Lavenders) and “Diamond” Corns (Lava Charcoals). How much are they worth since they are the only ones in the entire universe? Their value is really not determinable, much like a Mopar with a hemi.

The high prices of new morphs is also placed at a level, where it is actually hoped that they may not sell, because it would be much better to hold onto all of them to mass produce them later. Even at a much lower price the income would be much greater in the long run. This method of “hording” a new morph is frowned upon as well, so it is really a no win situation. The prices of a new morph are way to high, or they are hording them for mass production.

Some Corn morphs have sold for prices between 2K- 3K, so even though 1K sounds very high, it is all about business. I have personally paid for a new morph to add to my breeding colony to save time, a lot of time. I purchased a Hypo Lav Blood for example and will be able to produce Hypo Lavs het for blood or Hypo Bloods het for Lav in two years, instead of possibly producing my first Hypo Lav Blood in three years. In four years, I will be able to produce quite a few Hypo Lav Bloods, which would have taken me perhaps 7 - 8 years to get to the same production rate by doing it myself.

I suppose it is all about perspective and your individual goals with your breeding projects.

Urgh, you gave me a fright...it's $1000 not £1000...big difference!

I'm looking at outlaying at the most about 1200SEK (about US $170) for a snake I want and perhaps 2/3 that for a hatchlingI like, but that's my individual budget and fits my own needs. Some people have to have the latest morphs and combos first and so they buy it, others get satisfaction out of making it themselves. I'm somewhere in between!!! -I'll buy some multi het adults and see what I can do with them myself.

Back