• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heating plastic rubs/tubs - Cause for concern ??

Zincubus

Soooooo

I've heard on the grapevine that there may be cause for concern as regards the heating of plastic rub/rubs wether it's UTH or heat /ceramic bulbs!?!?!

The suggestion is ....

Plastic when heated to a certain level will always release VOC which have apparently been linked with Respiratory Tract Infections ( more commonly known as RI ) in snakes and other reptiles ..

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are extremely hazardous. The EPA explains VOCs, and the dangers they pose to our health. According to the EPA, VOCs cause eye, nose and throat irritation, frequent headaches, nausea, and can also damage the liver, kidney and central nervous system .

Any thoughts , ideas , concerns or information on this topic ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, that's a huge concern for sure. Personally, I don't use plastic tubs, so it doesn't pertain to my situation.
I wonder though if others are aware that they may be doing harm to their snakes? Could there be certain tubs that are made which do not release any VOC's and are 'snake safe'?

Great post!

Wow, that's a huge concern for sure. Personally, I don't use plastic tubs, so it doesn't pertain to my situation.
I wonder though if others are aware that they may be doing harm to their snakes? Could there be certain tubs that are made which do not release any VOC's and are 'snake safe'?

Great post!

The study and research is ongoing but the guy raising the alarm is a biochemist working for Arcadia !!

The general consensus from tub users on other forums is that it's all a load of nonsense ...

Can't see why a scientist who works for a company who manufacture heaters and bulbs would be creating a fuss about nothing , though ..

All mine have always been kept in vivs sooooooo .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering if the doubting rub users are simply in denial or maybe they've can't afford to change or even don't want it to be true ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use ambient heat, so I don't have direct heat on mine.
But I also know several people who used flexwatt style heat with bins for many years and have no problems.

Back