CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Temp question

Old 02-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Desert Corn
Temp question

I just recently got my first corn snake and my apartment gets pretty chilly, the cool side of the tank is around 68 degrees sometimes lower. what can I do at home to raise the temp? Do I need to buy a heating element?

Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #2
MysticExotics
What is the hot side temp at?

Old 02-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
I have a similar situation. It gets really cold where I live, especially in the winter. Summers are not a problem.

I actually use 2 heat pads. I call one the warm side and keep it around 85, The other one is on the cool side and I set it for 72. Many days it doesn't even come into play, but if the temp on that end of the cage gets below 72 then it does.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Desert Corn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
What is the hot side temp at?
I have an exo terra on/off thermostat and an electronic thermometer the temp goes up to about 90 and the drops down to 85 to 86 and then kicks back on.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
Twolunger
I think I would follow Karl's advice, however, you would need another exo terra and heat pad. I have used ceramic heat bulbs (not lights) in the past to provide more ambient heat for lizards. I used a dimmer controller to adjust the heat output. The bulb was screwed into a ceramic shielded hood.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Desert Corn
Thank you for the replies

Old 02-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Saml8
I have the same situation. I have the heating pad (which is plugged into a thermostat) on one side and keep that at around 83-ish and then on the cool side I have a black ceramic light (sitting on top of screen lid) also on thermostat, that kicks on anytime the cool side dips below 72ish.
** I'm fairly new to keeping snakes and happened to live in a state that gets pretty cold… I'm not sure if this is the ideal setup so if anyone sees a problem with this setup I would love to hear your input!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
cornsnakebob
I use both a heat pad and a lamp on the same side when it's cold. And a branch under the heat lamp as well as 3 hides all over the tank. I have a temp gun and there are spots that are 86 and spots that are in the low 60s.- even 50s sometimes. Snake gets to choose which spot he likes. Works ok for me.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
DeuceRon
I do the same as Bob. In the winter, they get both. In the summer, just a heat pad. My cool side may get to about 70, but they don't mind. If they don't like it, they'll go to the warm side.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google