CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Rescued Snake - please help

Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Twolunger
Let us know how she does. Mine usually become restless just before laying.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
Raven
I will. The incubator is all set just in case her eggs are fertile! Crossing my fingers that they are and she can pass them without issues.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
Raven
Still no eggs....

Old 06-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
Raven
Day 19 after shed. She's still eating and active but has not laid yet. I know there is a variation in how long it can take before they lay. How often should/can I be checking on her without pestering her?

Old 06-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
Twolunger
If you have a lay box in her vivarium there's no reason to pester her. Just peek at the lay box to see if she laid. Pre-lay sheds are nice, but some of my females lay without shedding first. Some eat the day before they lay, a few of mine go off feed a few days to a week before laying. I am a little concerned because she had obvious eggs already moved to the cloaca area, and it's been almost a month since you posted her picture. I guess I'd wait for another week, but then I'd want the vet to make a determination that there's no reason for concern.

Of my females that laid this year one laid without shedding first, four had sheds, laying within 14 days, and one has eggs but hasn't shed yet.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
Raven
She has a clear lay box in her tank with a generous amount of damp sphagnum. By pester, I meant walk near her tank, check conditions, peer into the box etc. I have had other snakes in the past successfully lay, then hatch out the clutch to healthy babies. I'm still learning and check this site when I have questions or want to know more - always learning something! The collective knowledge here is fantastic!

The bulge by her tail, as determined by the vet and x-rays, was trauma from an event prior to when I got her. Her eggs were not near her cloaca.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience with a similar situation? If she still has the swelling, will she be able to pass the eggs without issues?

I figured if she doesn't lay in a reasonable amount of time, I will be calling the vet, though I would rather avoid another trip (unless she needs the visit) that may unnecessarily stress her out and cause her to have more problems with possible retained eggs.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #17
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
She has a clear lay box in her tank with a generous amount of damp sphagnum. By pester, I meant walk near her tank, check conditions, peer into the box etc. I have had other snakes in the past successfully lay, then hatch out the clutch to healthy babies. I'm still learning and check this site when I have questions or want to know more - always learning something! The collective knowledge here is fantastic!

The bulge by her tail, as determined by the vet and x-rays, was trauma from an event prior to when I got her. Her eggs were not near her cloaca.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience with a similar situation? If she still has the swelling, will she be able to pass the eggs without issues?

I figured if she doesn't lay in a reasonable amount of time, I will be calling the vet, though I would rather avoid another trip (unless she needs the visit) that may unnecessarily stress her out and cause her to have more problems with possible retained eggs.
Boy, that's a good question regarding if she will be able to pass the eggs with that swelling. I assumed it was just an egg, but it could prevent normal egg laying. If the vet wasn't concerned, knowing she was holding eggs, maybe we shouldn't be concerned, but anything out of the ordinary is not a welcomed sight. We did have a female with a tumor near her cloaca we didn't breed, just kept as a pet, but she laid infertile eggs anyway, and had no trouble passing them.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
Raven
Good to know! Thanks! Hopefully she is just taking her time until the weather is nicer out.The vet didn't think it was a problem, but we also figured some of the swelling would have gone down by now. There was a difference in the ribs on the section with the swelling, but again she didn't think that would cause an issue. We also don't know if they are fertile eggs. Normally I wouldn't concerned, but there are a lot of "ifs".

I have no idea of anything before I got her except that she was not being properly cared for (though very well fed!). They said they had a male corn snake - I asked if I could take him too but they wouldn't let me. They woman I got her from said to her knowledge the two corns hadn't been together. Anything is possible though.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #19
DennisP
I wonder if Eggs happened?

Old 07-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #20
Raven
Sadly not yet. She's refused to eat the past 2 feedings and been extra restless the past few days until today, she's just resting on the cool side. That's usually a good sign. I called the vet this morning and am waiting a response from them on what to do. I also covered the tank partially with a dark sheet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google