CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

wild mice OK?

Old 10-05-2005, 10:30 AM   #21
kr0316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistafeesh
yeeees, but I want to breed cornsnakes at some point, and it'd be handy to have a mouse colony to feed them on.
You can buy healthy frozen mice from Rodentpro or Big cheese in bulk vacuum sealed bags. I buy mine from big cheese and because they are vacuum sealed they stay good for a long time.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #22
xxwildcatxx
BOIL THE MICE

for the past 2 months I have been feeding my corn snake wild mice. I boil the mouse for 5 minutes long enough to kill any parasite inside the body then when it cools down I feed it to my snake I have been doing this for 2 months now and I have not had a single problems and to add to this SNAKES EAT WILD MICE IN THE WILD they don't have a store where they go to get feeder mice look if you have the means to catch and boil the mice then do it if not breed your own mice I am breeding both feeder mice and wild mice once the wild mice have there baby's they are then taken to a different tank... the baby's should not have any parasites or diseases

Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #23
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwildcatxx View Post
for the past 2 months I have been feeding my corn snake wild mice. I boil the mouse for 5 minutes long enough to kill any parasite inside the body then when it cools down I feed it to my snake I have been doing this for 2 months now and I have not had a single problems and to add to this SNAKES EAT WILD MICE IN THE WILD they don't have a store where they go to get feeder mice look if you have the means to catch and boil the mice then do it if not breed your own mice I am breeding both feeder mice and wild mice once the wild mice have there baby's they are then taken to a different tank... the baby's should not have any parasites or diseases
Until the day arrives that your "wild mouse" licked some antifreeze or ate a little rat poison right before you caught and boiled it... To each their own, but I love my snakes enough to make sure they have the best food available. Besides the fact that mice cost PENNYS each....smfh....
~Beau

Old 02-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #24
Karl_Mcknight
boiling a mouse? You might as well feed it boloney like somebody else did

Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #25
kdickens
Quote:
SNAKES EAT WILD MICE IN THE WILD they don't have a store where they go to get feeder mice
Snakes in the wild also (as far as I know) do not have stoves or build fires. I don't think they boil their food. Most of the time they eat it raw.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #26
spacetiger110
So, pretty much everyone on the internet holds the Munson Plan as gospel, but when Roy Munson himself advises against feeding wild mice people argue?

Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #27
Karl_Mcknight
Wild mice are great for Wild snakes. There is no reason to feed a pet snake Wild Mice.

People often put out poison to kill mice. The biggest concern would be that a Wild Mouse had eaten some and then your snake is poisoned as well. If you are absolutely certain the mouse is safe, then there is no problem.

Myself, I'm not willing to gamble the safety and health of my snake by betting a wild mouse I happen to catch is ok. I'll gladly pay for mice.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google