CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Enough Food?

Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
rara1337
Question Enough Food?

I've had Molly at home with me for 2 weeks now. Yesterday was the second time eating with me and she took 2 pinkies. I was told by the store that she was eating 2 pinkies once a week. I was going to continue that schedule but I read on the Munson plan that she should be eating every 4-5 days per her weight of 18g. If she's used to eating this way, would it do more harm to change her to every 4-5 days instead of every 7? Or should I change to 4-5?

Also, last week she was 19g and this week she is 18g. I'm thinking she weighed more last week because it was right after her shed and she hadn't pooped yet, but I want to be sure she's getting enough to eat.

She was very active after eating last night as well, which she wasn't the first week. It looked like she was looking for more.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
DollysMom
If you want to you can change her to 6 days. Make changes in feeding gradually. I wouldn't worry about a 1 gram loss for the reasons you mention. They always look like they want more.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
just a suggestion, if you always weigh your snake after it poops, you'll get a more accurate measurement. Otherwise you are weighing the poop as well, and a snake's weight will go up when it eats, (the weight of the food) and then go down when it poops (the weight of the poop).

The weight will fluctuate a bit but the trend should be upward over a period of time. If for example, she weighed less in 2 months than she does now, then obviously something is wrong, but if she weighs more after 2 months then she's growing.

2 pinkies every 6 days sounds right. That being said, even pinkies can vary in weight. There are big pinkies and small pinkies. Just as measuring your snake from time to time is important, so is measuring their meals, especially when they are babies.

At her weight of about 18 grams, she should be eating 2 pinkies that total 7 grams combined. So don't just grab the first 2 pinkies you see, rather try to find 2 that are close to 7 grams.

Once she gets up to about 25 grams in weight, you can bump her up to small fuzzies.

Good Luck.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
DollysMom
At 18 grams I feed a little less. Whether one or two pinkies I weigh them and gradually increase the total prey weight. At 18 grams I fed Cleo 1.5 pinkies for a total of 4 grams. I fed Dolly 2 pinkies for a total of 5 grams. So nice to have complete records to go back to! This was every 5 days.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google