CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Needing shoulders that understand to cry on.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Tavia
Needing shoulders that understand to cry on.

I received a DOA shipment today, my very first. Not a first I was wanting for sure! Poor baby ... He was sure a pretty thing. This whole transaction has been one big screw up after another. Since I haven't heard back from the shipper yet, I'm going to be sparing on details but I just needed a shoulder that would really understand the horror of opening a box to find the reptile inside dead.
I'm thinking this little one is another heat pack fatality. Heat packs sure scare me!
RIP little one ...

Old 10-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
albertagirl
Aw that is so sad, not to mention disappointing. I'm sorry you have to experience this. I hate to think of situations like this, and can only hope he went fairly quickly with minimal suffering. I hope you're able to sort it out with the shipper. He's gorgeous though, what kind of snake is that?

Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Tavia
He is an Oreocryptophis porphyraceus pulchra or most commonly called a Yunnan mountain rat snake.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
ghosthousecorns
Poor baby. Was the shipment in a delay? I'm hoping the seller will be able to offer you a replacement or make it right somehow.
I dread this kind of thing from ever happening to me, but even more so as a seller than as a buyer. Though it would suck either way. I'm not sure about this particular species, but with corns I try to not use a heat pack unless there is actual danger of freezing temps (in which case it's usually wiser not to ship) Heat seems a lot more likely to kill during shipping than cold.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Kokopelli
Poor thing

Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Tavia
No, the package didn't hit any snags and arrived roughly around 10:15 this morning. The package was well done, the heat pack how it should have been packaged and it probably wouldn't have been a problem if this was a more heat tolerant species but as it was I'm not sure why a heat pack was used at all. The temps were a bit on the cold side but not bad, as far as I know, I didn't check what had been forecast all along the route. These guys don't do well at temps over 84 degrees for long periods of time though. I grabbed my temp gun when I realized he was unresponsive and took a reading, it was all over the place as I moved the point of aim but I got a reading of 115 at the top of the box, practically on the heat pack and somewhere around 80 to 87 degrees in the nest in the newspaper at the level that the deli cup had been at.
Because there were no delays and his body condition looks good, my best guess right now would be overheating.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I dread this kind of thing from ever happening to me, but even more so as a seller than as a buyer. Though it would suck either way. I'm not sure about this particular species, but with corns I try to not use a heat pack unless there is actual danger of freezing temps (in which case it's usually wiser not to ship) Heat seems a lot more likely to kill during shipping than cold.
Oh yes! The very first coxi (cousin to this species) baby I shipped out this year, I didn't sleep or hardly eat for the two days leading up to shipping or the night of shipping. Didn't help that the highs were in the 90s in some of the places she was going to go through and end up in. We would have waited but it was going to do nothing but get hotter at the buyer's location so we picked the coolest window we could get and prayed. I ran box and ice pack tests for those two days leading up, in different sized boxes indoors at room temps and outside in direct sunlight on a surface reading 110 degrees, to see what worked best. Have to admit I really wondered if it was all worth the stress during that time shipping! The next ones were easier though and I only lost sleep the night of.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
He is an Oreocryptophis porphyraceus pulchra or most commonly called a Yunnan mountain rat snake.
Thanks. I've never heard of them, but man he is bright!

Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
vetusvates
Very sorry to read this, Tavia.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
Chip
So sorry, Tavia.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google